- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- "Even light intensity at every spot in the greenhouse"
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
Philippines: Villagers get acquainted with aquaponics
Organized by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), the training aims equip the residents on basic gardening and aquaponics so they can apply it in their houses and share it with the constituents in their respective communities, said DOST Information Officer Sean Adrian Guardino.
The activity is in cooperation with GK Negros Oriental and Foundation University (FU).
Klein Koerkamp, the current dean of College of Agriculture of FU discussed urban gardening, its concept and practice, seedling management and types of containers, nutrient and pest management, hydroponics and aquaponics.
Other topics also included types of hydroponics and aquaponics systems, their advantages and disadvantages, fabrication of vertical hydroponics and barrel aquaponics.
The activity also included a tour in FU hydroponics/aquaponics facility.
Video clips on urban gardening in the Philippines and modular aquaponics were also shown to the participants.
“The concept of hydroponics and aquaponics was quite new to the GK participants. The group was quite knowledgeable with caring for plants due to previous training they had with GK and other agencies. We only showed them a simple vertical hydroponics system and a water culture system which they can easily fabricate themselves,” Koerkamp said.
“We also showed them how to make one simple barrel aquaponics system. The main objective in introducing this model is to show them the flood and drain system and how the siphon is fabricated and how that should work,” he also added.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-10-26 Singapore: Renewed library now features hydroponics room
- 2021-10-21 Teens for Food Justice program awarded 300k by USDA for hydroponic expansion
- 2021-10-20 Tackling climate issues with low-resource consuming growing towers
- 2021-10-20 Collaboration on 700 m2 pilot farm in China
- 2021-10-19 Unmanned vertical farm in China: is this what the future looks like?
- 2021-10-19 ‘It’s not as carbon-hungry’: UK’s largest sunlit vertical farm begins harvest
- 2021-10-15 "We can focus more on quality and how the product satisfies consumer needs”
- 2021-10-15 UK grower trials aeroponic propagation system
- 2021-10-13 Irish supermarket to sell hydroponic microgreens
- 2021-10-08 China: Why the growth cycle of rice can be split in half
- 2021-10-01 Todd P. Hanna announced as new COO
- 2021-09-22 This "glass tree" vertical farm could solve urban food deserts
- 2021-09-16 Chinese scientists grow rice that yields twice faster in hydroponic experiment
- 2021-09-02 Building facilities across Canada, as well as in Greater London and Copenhagen
- 2021-09-01 US (PA): Mobile lab brings aquaponics closer to society
- 2021-08-26 Fresh herbs from halls and bunkers
- 2021-08-26 "The base of our technology is R&D in product development"
- 2021-08-16 "We reduced the cost of cooling by just cooling the plant roots”
- 2021-07-08 "Crops from the vertical farm have more flavor and a longer shelf life"
- 2021-07-08 Danish retail is committed to vertical crop products