- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- One of Sweden's largest tomato growers to stop cultivation during winter
- Wasabi grower discovering new greenhouse crops
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
How do you get clean soil in an organic greenhouse?
Resetting the soil
How do you maintain quality soil without using chemicals? A tricky business for many organic growers. In Nursery Greenshield, Ruud van Schie uses a process called Soil Reset. The organic agent Herbie 82 has been specially developed for organic cultivation and approved for this purpose by Skal and Bioland D. "By administering this organic nutrition to the soil, pathogens such as nematodes, Verticillium and Sclerotinia can be countered effectively," says Henk Meints of Thatchtec.
Greenshield started deploying the agent earlier in December. Manager Tonni Vink had moistened the soil in advance. "By this we mean that at least 25% of the pores are filled with water," says Meints. "If you squeeze the soil into a ball, your hand will be wet." The Herbie pallets are plowed into the soil and the soil is leveled. The ground is kept at a steady temperature of 16 degrees.
New machines by Loonbedrijf Vercoulen from Venlo were used to deploy the Herbie pallets. Upon request, the machines are enhanced with hydraulic smooth rollers. "Thus we can perfect the disinfection in the top layer," explains Meints. The rollers rotate slightly faster and therefore the top layer stays moist.
The soil will remain covered until January 17, after which it should be ready for a new crop.
Agro Business Park 10
6708 PW Wageningen
tel: 06 3045 9779
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2015-12-24 "You ask yourself why this isn't done more"
- 2015-12-23 Organic grower Andrew Mans from Coaldale:
- 2015-12-22 Visit to Golden Acre Farms:
- 2015-12-21 How two Leamington growers became Canada’s lowest cost producer of medicinal marijuana
- 2015-12-18 The crop is in control at Vine Fresh Acres in Leamington
- 2015-12-17 Canada: Truly Green has a true ambition for their 90 acre green crop in Chatham-Kent
- 2015-12-16 "Do something that nobody else does"
- 2015-12-15 Diversity is key at Erieview Acres
- 2015-12-14 "We're a Mexican company, but our philosophy is Dutch"
- 2015-12-11 International partnership will develop first market ready sweet pepper harvesting robot
- 2015-12-10 New greenhouse glass claims to allow more light in autumn and winter
- 2015-12-09 J & A Brandsema: Growing unique local tomatoes on 1 hectare in Tasmania
- 2015-12-08 Plexiglas: an energy saving alternative to glass and poly
- 2015-12-07 "Will Belgorod become "The Westland" of Russia?"
- 2015-12-04 Extra vines and kilos with the help of ethylene gas
- 2015-12-03 Tips on successful young plant propagation
- 2015-12-02 Can organic agriculture feed the world’s hungry?
- 2015-12-01 How do you get clean soil in an organic greenhouse?