The program provides funding towards solar photovoltaics on Alberta farms. This enables producers to conserve non-renewable fossil fuels and reduce carbon emissions, ultimately reducing the environmental footprint of Alberta's agriculture industry.
The Growing Forward 2 Solar Photovoltaics Program addresses two important industry priorities:
- Improved environmental stewardship. When producers make investments in clean energy and reduced carbon emissions, they are recognized for their commitment to sustainable practices.
- Improved energy management. Producers who install photovoltaic systems tend to take a renewed interest in their electricity usage; this leads to additional efficiency investments.
- Grid-tied, not off-grid,
- Approved under Alberta's Micro-Generation Legislation,
- Positioned to optimize sunshine and minimize shading,
- Have manufacturer-warranties on: Solar modules, Racking, Inverters and/or Micro-inverters, and
- Installed on a Site ID that has a Distribution Rate Class of Farm, Irrigation, Grain Drying, or equivalent.