- Breeding Trial Specialist
- Farm Manager Abu ADhabi
- Key Account Manager Canada and USA
- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
Top 5 -yesterday
- 12 horticultural robots to keep an eye out for
- O’Hanlon Fresh Herbs improves crop production with innovative rolling gutter system
- Autonomous UV-C robotic technology coming to market for powdery mildew control in greenhouses
- "With the right tools, the grower can control more and larger greenhouses simultaneously"
- HS Evolution Pot increases strawberry cultivation in customised substrate
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "Honduras greenhouse park to become the largest producer-exporter in the Central American region"
- Netherlands: Codema Systems Group declared bankrupt
- Canada: Dutch holding company acquires Ontario Plants Propagation
- Autonomous robots can pick up to 25,000 raspberries per day
- 32 acres of high-wire greenhouse available for lease in Tehachapi, CA
Chinese-Dutch cooperation on solar greenhouse experiment in Shouguang
This project shows that the AHSRS does not affect the diurnal average temperature in winter, but can elevate the minimum temperature by some 2 °C. On dull days, however, the AHSRS doesn’t give an improvement since it doesn’t add anything to the shortage of energy.
The fact that the Chinese Solar Greenhouse prevents frost, despite outside temperatures that may go down far below ‑10 °C, is largely due to the high insulation applied. The insulation can be further increased by using screens inside the greenhouse. This project shows that such a screen may elevate the temperatures on the coldest days by about 1.5 °C and in Chinese Solar Greenhouses with the AHSRS even slightly more.
When using a transparent screen like the Ludvig Svensson Luxous screen, the elevated temperature in winter comes together with a slightly increased amount of light entering the greenhouse. In warmer months of the year, the light entrance to the greenhouse will be reduced somewhat when using a thermal screen.
Apart from temperature, also the humidity is often unfavourably high in the Chinese Solar Greenhouse. This report shows a simple system to reduce the high humidity in winter at the expense of about 7 kWh/m² of electricity per year.
Another topic studied in this project was the use of soilless cultivation. The equipment, consisting of a irrigation and nutrient supply system, drippers and coco fiber slabs, worked well and contributed to a good, healthy crop. To achieve this, the greenhouse operator was helped a lot by the Delphy advisory service.
The control of all actuators and measurement of the greenhouse and outside climate was carried out by the Hoogendoorn ISII greenhouse climate computer. After a short period the operator of the greenhouse learned how to use the outputs of the climate computer and its control capabilities to realize the best possible climate with the given, limited number of control possibilities of a Chines Solar Greenhouse.
The harvest in terms of tomatoes in this first experimental period was about 5.5 kg/m². This is still very low, but largely due to the start-up character of this first year. It is stated that a production of 20 kg/m² is reasonable to expect, providing a good support by a knowledgeable adviser.
Download the full report here.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2017-08-31 UK: Saving waste in horticulture
- 2017-08-30 "Significant cost savings with fuel additives for oil boilers"
- 2017-08-29 Dutch 2SaveEnergy trials minimize use of natural gas
- 2017-08-28 Understanding energy storage for UK growers
- 2017-08-25 US (NY): GLASE consortium aims to improve greenhouse energy efficiency
- 2017-08-24 CAN: Great Lakes prepares for any eventuality
- 2017-08-23 New video shows aerial view of Panda solar farm in China
- 2017-08-22 South Holland sounds the gong for energy innovations
- 2017-08-21 "NAFTA talks no threat to energy"
- 2017-08-18 World's largest solar thermal power plant approved for Australia
- 2017-08-17 Koppert Cress now also harvests energy
- 2017-08-16 UK: Are you missing out on CCL relief?
- 2017-08-15 CAN (AB): On-Farm Solar PV program has reopened
- 2017-08-14 Dehumidification units transform any operation into a semi-closed system
- 2017-08-11 Research on Chinese solar greenhouse at University of Manitoba
- 2017-08-10 CAN: Quebec makes $5 million available for energy efficient greenhouse project
- 2017-08-09 US (FL): Tecogen sells chiller to MMJ business
- 2017-08-08 Italians inaugurate sophisticated residual heat greenhouse
- 2017-08-07 Let's focus on energy this month
- 2016-08-31 Chinese-Dutch cooperation on solar greenhouse experiment in Shouguang