Spain: Almeria's greenhouses are the backbone of Spanish veg export

The value of Almeria's exports is the highest of any province in Spain. Between January and July, more than 40% of the vegetables exported by this country were produced in Almeria's greenhouses.

This trend can be linked mainly to the sales of vegetables like peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes or courgettes, and of fruits like melons and watermelons, as stated by the delegate of Andalusia's Government in Almeria, Sonia Ferrer, during her visit at Fruit Attraction.
During the first seven months of the year, Almeria exported cucumbers valued at 161 million Euro, which represents 62.7% of Spain's total. In the case of peppers, with 305 million Euro in turnover, Almeria ships 61.6% of all Spanish exports. As for tomatoes, Almeria accounts for 54.2% of Spain's total sales overseas, with 357 million Euro in turnover. The province also leads the courgette market, with 50% of the country's exports and sales valued at almost 129 million Euro.

Destination, Europe
In the case of fruit, Almeria was Spain's fourth largest exporter, with a total of 166 million Euro in turnover (29% more than last year) and an 8% market share during the first seven months of the year. Almeria's growers were the largest watermelon exporters, with 52% of the country's total and more than 95 million Euro in revenue, while in the case of melons, the province is Spain's second largest exporter, only behind Murcia, with a 28.5% market share and 57 million Euro in revenue, according to data elaborated by Andalusia's Regional Delegation of Agriculture, Fisheries and Environment from the latest Icex report.

A roundabout in Almeria dedicated to the regions greenhouse industry

99.8% of the fruits and vegetables exported by Almeria are shipped to the European market and the remaining 0.2% to the United States and Canada. Within Europe, the main destinations are Germany (30.8%), France (15.5%), The Netherlands (12.1%), United Kingdom (10.7%) and Italy (7%). However, as stressed by the Government delegate, Almeria is also progressively entering Eastern Europe. It is the case of Poland, which has already consolidated as sixth most important destination with 4.2% of the sales. Although volumes are still small, the evolution of exports to Russia is also worth mentioning, as they have gone from 0.2% in 2010 to 0.6% in 2013; a similar increase to that of Romania.


Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber

You are using software which is blocking our advertisements (adblocker).

As we provide the news for free, we are relying on revenues from our banners. So please disable your adblocker and reload the page to continue using this site.

Click here for a guide on disabling your adblocker.