The Canadian Produce Marketing Association (CPMA) has released a statement in the wake of the Canadian Federal Election. Below is the release:
"CPMA wishes to congratulate Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and all returning and newly elected Members joining Canada’s 43rd Parliament.
"CPMA looks forward to working with the Liberal minority government and all Members of Parliament to raise awareness of the importance of our sector and to address the key priorities of Canada’s fresh fruit and vegetable industry, including:
• Securing financial protection for produce sellers;
• Ensuring access to labour;
• Reducing the use of unnecessary and problematic plastics;
• Developing an agriculture and agri-food data strategy;
• Bolstering Canada’s crop protection toolbox;
• Expanding access to export trade markets;
• Supporting small businesses through the Small Business Deduction;
• Harmonizing spring weight restrictions across the provinces; and
• Implementing a whole-of-government National Food Policy, led by the Canadian Food Policy Advisory Council.
"CPMA will continue to advocate for our members’ interests and looks forward to meeting with Parliamentarians at our 2020 Farm to Plate event in February, as well as our 2020 Fall Harvest event in November.
"CPMA thanks all of the 2019 candidates for their contributions to Canadian democracy and looks forward to welcoming our new class of Parliamentarians."
For more information:
Canadian Produce Marketing Association
Ph: +1 (613) 226-4187 ext. 225