People who pay attention to their health are familiar with this product found in salads and sushis as well as in cosmetic preparations. Cucumbers have a pleasant taste and contain compounds that are very beneficial to the health. Unless you are allergic to it, it should become an essential part of your diet.
Cucumbers contain no less than 95% of water. The human body being composed of 70% of water, it must be revitalized by drinking half a gallon a day to stay fit. For those who tend to forget to drink water, a few slices of cucumber can hydrate very well. The cucumber contains vitamin A, B, C, E and is full of fibers and minerals such as magnesium, iron, copper, zinc and potassium.
Here are some of its assets:
- Hydrates the body: thanks to its high water content, the cucumber is an excellent source of hydration. It is also possible to relieve a sunburn with a slice of cucumber.
- Fights diabetes: the vegetable stimulates the production of insulin by the pancreas. A cucumber diet is then beneficial for diabetics.
- Helps kidney function: cucumbers reduce uric acid levels, stimulating good health and kidney function.
- Relieves joint pain: it contains high levels of tannins and cucurbitacins whose anti-inflammatory properties help reduce, or even eliminate joint and muscle pain.
- Makes hair beautiful: the presence of “silica” helps make nails shiny and strong, and promotes hair growth.
- Helps with digestion: its high insoluble fiber content allows for a good intestinal transit and helps avoid constipation.
- Eliminates bad breath: consuming cucumbers encourages the production of saliva which fights against the proliferation of bacteria responsible for bad breath and cavities.
- Balances blood pressure: the magnesium and potassium contained in the cucumber are essential to control blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of cancer: cucumbers are rich in polyphenols, pinoresinol and lariciresinol which reduce the risk of developing several types of cancer.
- Eliminates toxins: the cucumber is a detoxifier and is found in the composition of many “detox” cocktails.
- Reduces cholesterol: the “sterol” reduces bad cholesterol.
- Decongests dark circles: placing a slice of cucumber on each eye decongests the pockets and significantly reduces dark circles.