- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
SA drought hits on all sides
The market price for cauliflower has increased by as much as 10 times, tomatoes by four and potatoes have almost doubled in the past few months as the impact of the drought starts to show in food shortages and prices, say fresh food producers.
Anton Louw, a farmer in the Hluhluwe area, said the food shortage was already starting to impact on prices.
“The price of vegetables is going through the roof. The market value of a cauliflower that you would pay about R5 for is now R50, 10 times its value. Even tomatoes, that are planted by everyone, are going up because there is a shortage. A kilo used to sell for R5 and now it’s around R20,” he said.
The demand for potatoes is high and there is low yield so the price is going up. If you were paying R20 per 7kg you are now likely to be paying R35, he said.
The KwaZulu-Natal farmers’ union, Kwanalu warned that the situation was an impending disaster for the agricultural sector and the province. It said some farmers were unable to cope and were closing down. This would see further rises in prices and unemployment.
The number of commercial farmers has been declining for years. Only a few thousand remain. Some have retired, others – frustrated by the land reform process – have sought better opportunities in other African countries.
Click here to read more at www.iol.co.za.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2020-05-26 Changing weather patterns impact US fruit and vegetable production
- 2020-01-09 Australia: 110 years of recorded temperatures
- 2019-12-20 Number of years since a "record hottest" and "record coldest" year
- 2018-09-04 Mauritius: Increasing the resilience of small farmers to the effects of climate change
- 2018-07-05 Northern Europe dry, Southern Europe hit by hail
- 2018-06-22 "Every ending has a new beginning"
- 2018-06-11 Impact of grow room vapor pressure deficit
- 2018-06-07 A case for a monitoring rethink in horticulture
- 2018-05-03 Hailstorm hits Poniente area of Almeria
- 2018-04-11 Time to coat greenhouses
- 2018-01-08 China: Blizzards cause fruit & vegetable prices to surge
- 2018-01-08 Florida lettuce production on track despite weather problems
- 2018-01-04 China is expecting snow and rain
- 2017-10-17 And the Hoogendoorn photo contest winners are...
- 2017-07-06 Italy: Sicilian growers invest in recirculating hydroponics
- 2017-07-03 Autogrow advocates open source climate controls
- 2017-03-01 What do greenhouses and ice arenas have in common?
- 2016-07-13 Weatherproofing the greenhouse of the future
- 2016-04-11 Take advantage of air above the screen to regulate humidity
- 2016-04-04 Russia: Monitoring Platform at Lipetsk Agro