Landscapers and nursery growers interested in improving their water management knowledge are invited to attend It’s All About Water and Increasing Your Bottom Line, a one-day conference held at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on July 28 with an optional tour July 29.
Learn from national experts in water quality and management issues related to the green industries. Speakers will cover topics ranging from irrigation management to how better water management can increase your bottom line and motivate consumer purchasing.
Presenters and topics include:
- Introduction, Tom Fernandez, Michigan State University
- Irrigation strategies to improve plant production and conserve water, Amy Fulcher, University of Tennessee
- Current state of automated irrigation systems: How they work, where/how to buy or develop, examples of systems in use, Marc van Iersel, University of Georgia
- Getting the most out of your fertilizer: How placement and irrigation management affect fertilizer availability, Jim Owen, Virginia Tech
- Recycling irrigation water: From the pump to the pond and back again, Sarah White, Clemson University
- Waterborne pathogens: Problems and management, Rosa Raudales, University of Connecticut
- Designing an effective water treatment system: Case studies of grower operations, Paul Fisher, University of Florida
- Economics of improved irrigation management, John Majsztrik, Clemson University (work presented from time at University of Maryland)
- How growers can capitalize on consumer perceptions of improved water management, Bridget Behe, Michigan State University
The registration fee for the conference is $90 and includes lunch. The optional tour fee is an additional $50 per person and also includes lunch. Overnight accommodations are available at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel for our group at the rate or $129 plus tax and fees. Contact the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel directly at toll free 800-253-3590, local 616-776-6450 and mention the MNLA, MSU Water Conference to get our group rate. There are limited rooms at this rate, so register early.
Register online and view a flier for more information.
The conference is sponsored by the Michigan Nursery and Landscape Association, Michigan State University Extension, MSU AgBioResearch, MSU Department of Horticulture and the SCRI Clean WateR3 project.
This article was published by Michigan State University Extension. For more information, visit http://www.msue.msu.edu. To have a digest of information delivered straight to your email inbox, visit http://bit.ly/MSUENews. To contact an expert in your area, visit http://expert.msue.msu.edu, or call 888-MSUE4MI (888-678-3464).