UK: Nursery, registration, and supervision requirements to move or send plants for planting to the EU or Northern Ireland for non-commercial purposes

For a full guide on EU requirements, please see the Plants for Planting section of the export guide, check EU guidance, or contact the Plant Health Authority relevant for where you live:

If you want to move your plants to the EU or NI, you will need to apply for a Phytosanitary Certificate (PC). A step-by-step guide on exporting can be found on the Plant Health Portal.

Additional to the above requirements, the EU requires the PC needs to state that plants come from nurseries that are registered and supervised by GB plant health authorities.

Once you have checked whether your plant needs a PC, you will be required to register with the relevant GB plant health authority, and your plants and premises will need to be inspected to ensure that you meet nursery growing conditions, which includes that your plants have been grown in a pest-free environment.

Plant Health authorities will be able to register you (to meet the EU import requirements), then you must apply for an inspection to ensure your plants meet EU requirements. If successful, a PC will be issued for your plants.

Please note:

  • If plant pests or diseases are detected by the inspector, a sample may be taken and action may need to be taken, which may include destruction of your plants.
  • Some plants may only be able to be inspected at certain times of the year, such as during their active growth phase. Inspections may be required well in advance of the export.
  • Your plants may be subject to checks upon arrival in the EU or NI to verify that the plants meet the EU import requirements.


Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber