Each year, the Institute for Family-Owned Businesses (IFOB) holds an awards gala to "celebrate the accomplishments of small and large businesses." One of those awards is the People's United Bank Innovation & Technology award, which recognizes a company that demonstrates:
- excellence in the development or creation of a new idea, method, or product to solve a problem
- original, compelling ideas, innovation, or technology
- significant benefits to others
- fulfillment of a market need or creation of a new market through a service or product
- use of applied science or innovative methods in product development or enhancement
The award was won by Springworks Farm, a company focusing on aquaponics. Trevor Kenkel, Founder, and President, started Springworks Farm because he believed in his heart that aquaponics had the power to make the world a better place by reducing farming's impact on our natural environment. "Earning the recognition of a panel of judges is more than a tremendous honor, it's proof that we're making real progress on our mission to change the way lettuce is grown," he said.