Selenium (Se) is an essential element of the human diet. Therefore, it is necessary to implement Se in selenium-deficient soils and in the nutrient solution of soilless system culture. Although it is not considered as an essential element for plants, Se provides benefits at the level of redox metabolism, increasing the resistance of plants to various stress factors. The increase of the availability of Se, with the use of biopolymer complexes, was sought in Lactuca sativa var. Great Lakes, grown in substrate pots treated with SeO2 (5 mg Se/plant), chitosan-polyacrylic acid complex + Se (Cs-PAA + Se) (5 mg Se/plant), and chitosan-polyacrylic acid complex (Cs-PAA). The redox metabolism was modified by increasing the enzymatic activity of catalase and glutathione peroxidase. The use of Cs-PAA + Se biopolymer complexes increased Se up to 24 mg/Kg dry weight (DW) in plant tissues.
- Fresh Produce Trader - Den Haag, Netherlands
- Sales manager Europe
- Sales Representative - Northern Lower Michigan, USA
- Sales Representative - Florida, USA
- Business Development Manager Grapes, Citrus and Mangoes - Maasdijk, The Netherlands
- Greenhouse Grower’s Assistant - Hawaii, USA
- Glasshouse Labour Supervisor - Warragul, Australia
- Project Implementation Coordinator - Amman, Jordan
- Technical Services Manager
- Senior Grower tomatoes - Denmark
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- US: Legal action to prohibit hydroponic operations from Organic label
- "Plastic panels solution for floating hydroponic systems"
- Mucci Farms responds to public’s concern about grow lights
- Tomato brown rugose fruit virus bothers growers all over the world
- New LED-fixture: 15% more light output and a 15% efficiency improvement
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-02-20 Spain: Thermolabel moves forward in development of label that registers temperature of fruit and veg
- 2019-02-20 Decreasing greenhouse water consumption
- 2019-02-19 Gut bacteria adapting to New Zealanders' love of fruit and veg
- 2019-02-19 "Data driven decision making in the greenhouse becomes reality"
- 2019-02-18 Lightning strategies: Far-red treatment effects on tomato seedlings
- 2019-02-18 Portable spectroscopy to determine nutritional data and freshness parameters
- 2019-02-18 Keeping a closer eye on greenhouse tomatoes with surveillance cameras
- 2019-02-15 French tomato grower trials full LED growing
- 2019-02-13 Italy: University of Bari studies effect of inter-light lamps on greenhouse tomatoes
- 2019-02-12 "Built-in reflector in grow light provides up to 15% more light"
- 2019-02-12 "Earn more money with better planning"
- 2019-02-11 Dehumidification units now available on frames above the crop
- 2019-02-11 Urban farming will lead food revolution
- 2019-02-11 Answering questions never answered before
- 2019-02-08 For the lazy cook
- 2019-02-08 Vietnam: Agriculture in Industry 4.0 era
- 2019-02-08 Will increasingly expensive labor automatically give the plant lowering system the last push?
- 2019-02-06 "We have made research affordable"
- 2019-02-06 Control system makes it easier for growers to create customized light recipes
- 2019-02-05 "Proper greenhouse water recycling is the key to increasing your profitability"