Selenium (Se) is an essential element of the human diet. Therefore, it is necessary to implement Se in selenium-deficient soils and in the nutrient solution of soilless system culture. Although it is not considered as an essential element for plants, Se provides benefits at the level of redox metabolism, increasing the resistance of plants to various stress factors. The increase of the availability of Se, with the use of biopolymer complexes, was sought in Lactuca sativa var. Great Lakes, grown in substrate pots treated with SeO2 (5 mg Se/plant), chitosan-polyacrylic acid complex + Se (Cs-PAA + Se) (5 mg Se/plant), and chitosan-polyacrylic acid complex (Cs-PAA). The redox metabolism was modified by increasing the enzymatic activity of catalase and glutathione peroxidase. The use of Cs-PAA + Se biopolymer complexes increased Se up to 24 mg/Kg dry weight (DW) in plant tissues.
- Lead Engineer (Horticultural Systems)
- Head Grower - Kenya
- Environmental Officer - Home based
- Commercial Manager - Fresh Produce, Kenya
- Assistant Growers - Australia
- Grower Managers and Senior Growers - Australia
- Sales Manager Europe - Mont-Ras (Girona), ES
- Global Sales Manager - Negotiable location
- Head of Global Sales - Netherlands or Israel
- Sales Manager - AIS Greenworks, Australia
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-05-24 "Heating the greenhouse by cooling our LEDs"
- 2019-05-24 "Off-grid energy system opens up new possibilities for greenhouses"
- 2019-05-24 Belgium: Tomato Masters complete 5.4Ha LED installation
- 2019-05-24 New collaboration make data-driven cultivation possible
- 2019-05-24 "New monitor gives weekly insight into Dutch, Belgian, German, and British hard discounters' fruit and veg sales"
- 2019-05-23 From two cloths to just one
- 2019-05-22 Fluence goes Europe
- 2019-05-20 "This robot will tell you if your plants are sick"
- 2019-05-17 Video: Greenhouse glazing is a precision job
- 2019-05-17 US: Innovation incubator selects first cohort of agtech startups focused on sustainable solutions
- 2019-05-17 “It is a battle to find skilled people to keep up with the technology”
- 2019-05-17 A look into the 'crop kitchen' of the World Horti Center
- 2019-05-16 There is no one best coolant
- 2019-05-15 "VPD can adjust day to day watering based on the environment your plant is in"
- 2019-05-14 LED innovation for the cultivation of algae
- 2019-05-13 Researchers develop fluorescent probes to detect Ethylene
- 2019-05-13 New HQ Havecon & Voorwinden Group opened in style
- 2019-05-10 Why your grow should be digitally integrated
- 2019-05-10 Believing in LED or choosing for HPS?
- 2019-05-09 Edible protein coating on perishables as a solution for food waste