- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Here in Türkiye, we heat greenhouses with geothermal water, which is much cheaper than gas”
- "You have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but also know how to work with others"
- Belgian tomato grower raided on suspicion of using prohibited ToBRFV vaccine
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Labor challenges and inflation in the Canadian horti sector
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Family business: growing tomatoes in greenhouses for over 60 years with an eye on innovations
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- Grow it forward receives USDA grant and doubles hydroponic capabilities
October 18, Madrid
Spain: Lettuce Attraction brings lettuce suppliers to Fruit Attraction
The conference, organised by the Association of Producers-Exporters of Fruits and Vegetables from the Region of Valencia (Proexport) and its member companies, will feature international speakers. The event is aimed at producers, exporters, importers, retailers, researchers, seed companies, food processors, chefs and specialised journalists. The purpose is to draw attention to the culinary, gastronomic and nutritional value of lettuce and leafy vegetable production in Spain.
Spain, with a total of 743,130 MT exported in 2016, is the world’s leading exporter of lettuce and its produce is sent to 53 countries. Of all the lettuces exported, 60.4% (449,428 MT) are iceberg lettuces, while the remaining 39.6% (293,702 MT) comprise other types (romaine, oak leaf, lollo bionda, gem...).
Most Spanish exports originate in the Region of Murcia, where 71% of lettuces are grown (527,423 MT in 2016). Other production areas include Almeria (142,894 MT), Valencia (24,532 MT) and Alicante (14,528 MT), making up south-eastern Spain’s main lettuce and leaf production areas. Most Spanish lettuce exports are destined for Germany, which receives 186,760 MT, or 25.13% of the total. After Germany, the second most important importer of Spanish lettuce is France, which receives 18.5% of the total (137,454 MT), followed, in third place, by the United Kingdom, with 118,693 MT (15.97%), according to data from the Department of Customs and Special Taxes of the Ministry of Economy, processed by FEPEX, a Federation of which Proexport is a member.
When it comes to production, Spain is ranked fourth in the world, with more than 900,000 MT of lettuce.
“Lettuce Attraction: the world of leafy vegetables” will take place on the first day of the trade fair, on 18 October at Fruit Forum 5.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-25 Webinar: Opportunities for horticulture in Algeria and Egypt
- 2022-11-24 Vertical Farming Conference to address all-round CEA topics
- 2022-11-24 Presentations now available online
- 2022-11-24 GrowTech keeps up the momentum during second exhibition day
- 2022-11-24 Dutch horticultural companies made their debut at the CIIE
- 2022-11-23 Third ∑-Grow Inside Seminar on the way
- 2022-11-23 Urban agriculture: controlled environment conference set in Dallas
- 2022-11-23 Looking ahead to the Organic Grower Summit 2022
- 2022-11-23 GrowTech off to a good start
- 2022-11-21 Indiana Horticultural Conference and Expo returns in person for vegetable, fruit growers
- 2022-11-17 China-Netherlands Plant Variety Protection Workshop
- 2022-11-17 Industry 4.0 food factory of the future event at CAFRE
- 2022-11-17 New date change for the NovelFarm trade show
- 2022-11-16 Austria: Innovation award for indoor farming company
- 2022-11-16 Creating value with less: a hot theme at Global Berry Congress 2022
- 2022-11-16 "Focus on the future of horticulture" defining theme of IPM Essen
- 2022-11-14 New trends, innovations, and chain take center stage at Global Berry Congress
- 2022-11-14 NL: Cucumber event keeps audience in suspense
- 2022-11-10 New berry trends at Global Berry Congress 2022
- 2022-11-10 Mexico: Apply now for the 3rd start-up challenge and win a ticket to GreenTech Americas