- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
- What is the status of tomato brown rugose fruit virus in Europe?
- “Our ToBRFV-resistant variety has been preferred by our producers in wide areas since 2020"
- 2022 Year Overview: 10 stories on greenhouse expansion
- "Greek producers, who also purchase their plants from Spanish nurseries, have reported the same quality issue in strawberry plants as Spanish producers"
- New horticultural lighting technical requirements launched
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- "You can't grow on water without lights"
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
Great interest in new varieties during open day Rijk Zwaan Canada
One of the new varieties that performed very well this season is beef tomato Kivu (72-629) RZ. “Kivu showed excellent results and it definitely attracted the attention of the visitors”, says Advisor Greenhouse Crops Marleen van der Torre. “Throughout the season it produced uniform large fruits of 260-280 grams. The production so far is outstanding and due to its generative yet strong plant type, it is easy in labour. The big advantage of this variety is that it hardly drops fruit and that it has the powdery mildew intermediate tolerance.”
Excellent new candidates
Another variety that attracted a lot of interest from visitors is the new large TOV Prodezo. Van der Torre: “Its high yield and consistent large fruit weight makes it an excellent candidate for the upcoming variety choice growers have to make in the coming period. Besides the nice advantage of powdery mildew intermediate tolerance, it has a nice early production and the fruit shape is uniform round throughout the season.”
To play into the increasing consumption of snack vegetables, Rijk Zwaan developed a new yellow grape called Maggino with exceptionally good flavour. It is a valuable addition to so-called medleys, a mix of variously colored grapes. Another trend that Rijk Zwaan plays into is organic. “We have several varieties in this segment, amongst which Endeavour, a much-wanted large TOV variety that is appreciated for its well-balanced taste and outstanding quality, particularly during summer conditions”, Van der Torre states.
Open all season
People who were not able to come during the open house, still have a chance to come and visit the demo greenhouse till mid-October. Also, Rijk Zwaan will be present at the Canadian Greenhouse Conference held October 4th and 5th in Niagara Falls and during the PMA in New Orleans.
Appointments can be made via firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling the office at 1 519 324 0632. Check the website of Rijk Zwaan for more information regarding their assortment: https://www.rijkzwaan.com.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-29 Australia: baby cucumbers launch limited edition football pack to promote as a healthy sporting snack
- 2022-11-08 New blackberry and raspberry launching in 2023
- 2022-10-25 ‘Kawaguchi RZ meets Chinese consumers’ requirements for pink tomatoes’
- 2022-10-21 New snack packaging for tomatoes unveiled
- 2022-10-19 "We have launched a reuseable 4G wireless temperature and humidity location recorder with light sensors"
- 2022-10-18 “Company clothing is part of the operation in terms of hygiene, appearance, and comfort”
- 2022-10-12 Dutch bell pepper grower gets new automated crate processing line
- 2022-10-05 Shock-sensing data logger with food shapes replicate movement of fruit and vegetables during handling and transport
- 2022-10-05 “The impact of visibility on global trade flows is rising”
- 2022-10-04 Narrow strawberry tray saves grower 10% on substrate
- 2022-10-04 “Good tastes like more”
- 2022-10-03 "We have been able to contain the cucumber mosaic virus much better"
- 2022-09-30 Laser microperforated packaging prevents fresh produce waste
- 2022-09-26 Royal Brinkman and Kam’s Growers Supply launch Valent truss support clip
- 2022-09-15 Chopped salad line kit gets three new flavors
- 2022-08-25 Drop peppers: A niche product appreciated for their look and taste
- 2022-08-22 AI pest & disease detection platform to be distributed by Cultivatd
- 2022-08-08 BioTherm improves performance of their finned heating products
- 2022-07-20 Interesting novelty in the green oblong tomato segment
- 2022-07-12 New organic salad kits and blends line debuts in plant-based compostable bags