- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
The contribution of international vegetable breeding to Indian companies
This is analyzed for vegetables in India, where a sophisticated private seed industry has developed, using data from 27 private companies and 9 public organizations. There is a focus on tomato and chili pepper, which are two of India’s most important vegetables, and the role of international germplasm received from the World Vegetable Center.
Results show that as the role of the private sector in vegetable breeding increased, and with it the share of hybrids in the market, the role of international agricultural research shifted from the provision of ready-made varieties to the provision of specific resistance traits. Still, international germplasm continued to be used in varietal development with 14% and 13% of hybrid tomato seed and chili pepper seed sold in 2014 containing this germplasm in its pedigree.
The authors estimate that over half a million farmers use such seed. It is concluded that for tomato and chili pepper, international breeding needs to focus on pre-breeding research, capacity strengthening of smaller seed companies, and the delivery of open-pollinated varieties for marginal environments. Additionally, collaboration and communication with private seed companies, including impact and information sharing, would help to inform strategic decision-making in breeding programs and to better tailor research toward impact.
Source: Food & Business Knowledge Platform
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2017-09-13 Arcadia Biosciences to accelerate trait development with CRISPR-Cas9 license
- 2017-06-30 US: Hawaiian seed bank houses world's rarest seeds
- 2017-06-29 Hong Kong Aquagreen Valley cooperates with Rijk Zwaan
- 2017-06-28 ASTA hosts 134th annual convention, elects new leadership team
- 2017-06-27 Looking beyond subsistence farming
- 2017-06-26 From aquaculture to plant breeding
- 2017-06-23 Australian seeds book place in Doomsday shelter
- 2017-06-22 “Flavour, shape and stamina are important in an organic variety”
- 2017-06-22 Public-private partnership boosts Thailand's global seed sector ranking
- 2017-06-21 Webinar: Doing agribusiness in the Philippines
- 2017-06-20 Italy: Coviro relaunches strawberry varieties
- 2017-06-20 New blocky pepper varieties at de Ruiter
- 2017-06-19 German breeders develop ‘open source’ plant seeds
- 2017-06-16 The development of a tomato from seed to fruit
- 2017-06-16 The contribution of international vegetable breeding to Indian companies
- 2017-06-15 "Public private partnerships work together for the benefit of the farmer"