DAFWA has been contacting growers to arrange property visits. Growers who have not been contacted or would like to arrange a visit are being asked to contact James Dee from DAFWA’s Geraldton office on 9780 6285.
This initiative is a response to the detection of Cucumber Green Mottle Mosaic Virus (CGMMV) in Geraldton, Carnarvon, Kununurra and Perth. On-farm biosecurity plans will reduce the risk of exposure not only to CGMMV, but also other pests and diseases.
DAFWA staff have been interviewing growers to help identify property management requirements, biosecurity practices for staff, and any required new infrastructure. DAFWA will provide growers with a written report with recommendations for future action.
DAFWA is stressing a number of important biosecurity tips to prevent CGMMV infection or spread:
- Materials capable of being a host to CGMMV should be removed prior to planting according to disposal, destruction and decontamination guidelines. Guidelines will shortly be made available for growers.
- Potential host material includes dead or infected plant matter, weeds, volunteer plants and in-field risk items such as irrigation equipment.
- Dispose of weeds and volunteer plants even if not planting crops over the summer.
- Carry out ongoing monitoring and sampling of plants for CGMMV symptoms. Sampling kits and instructions will shortly be available from DAFWA and selected retailers.
- DAFWA is providing free testing of samples from cucurbit growers.
- At all times adhere to hygiene measures for people, vehicles and equipment.
CGMMV information sessions and farm biosecurity demonstrations for Waroona-Harvey and Donnybrook-Manjimup growers will be held in mid-January 2017. Confirmed details will be provided via DAFWA’s CGMMV web pages, e-updates and on Facebook and Twitter.
Growers will be asked to carry out CGMMV surveillance over the next four months in the Perth metropolitan and south west regions, and will be provided with sampling kits once available.
You can subscribe for regular CGMMV e-updates via an online registration form.