NZ: Foodstuffs invests $80m in new stores
New Zealand's biggest supermarket chain has spent more than $80m expanding in the last four months, opening four new stores. Lindsay Rowles, general manager of property development for Foodstuffs North Island, said the stores were New World Papakura, New World Te Kuiti, Pak'nSave Tamatea in Napier and Pak'nSave Tauriko in Tauranga. "Their total cost exceeds $80m," Rowles said, noting the geographic spread from Napier to Auckland. (nzherald.co.nz)
Ahold Delhaize to invest in own brands; aims to double turnover
Ahold Delhaize has outlined details of its integration strategy, today. The ‘Better Together’ strategy is a plan for ‘fully capturing the benefits of international scale combining with great local brands and associate expertise’, the retailer said in a statement. This includes plans to buy more strategically, waste less, invest in own brands and in fresh and healthier products, and to develop local, personal service in its stores. "We are excited to share our Better Together strategy, which builds naturally on our combined strong performance as well as the strong foundations of the local brands in our group,” said Dick Boer, CEO of Ahold Delhaize. The retailer also plans to double its e-commerce sales by the end of 2020. Please, click here to read more at esmmagazine.com.
Greece: Turnover up at discount chains, local stores
Neighborhood minimarkets and discount chains were last year’s net gainers in food retailing (excluding open-air street markets). These two categories saw their turnover grow in 2015 compared to 2014, according to a report issued by research firm IRI. Shrinking disposable incomes combined with shortages in some products, which started at Marinopoulos, Greece’s biggest supermarket chain, in 2015, led many consumers to Lidl and other smaller discount chains. (ekathimerini.com)
The ‘supermarket of the future’ makes its debut — in Italy
Coop Italia, Italy’s largest supermarket chain, is looking to reinvent the customer experience in grocery shopping. In collaboration with Accenture, the retailer has opened a flagship in Milan that merges the physical and digital to recreate the atmosphere of local open-air markets. Billed as the “supermarket of the future,” the store uses innovative digital solutions that provide product information, improve store navigation and engage customers. Please, click here to read the article.
US: Fiesta buys 3 Houston-area stores
Fiesta Mart acquired three more stores Tuesday, this time in the Houston market. A spokesperson for the retailer declined to reveal the sellers of the three locations — two in Houston and one in Rosenberg, Texas. (supermarketnews.com)
Sprouts expands reach with Amazon delivery partnership
Amazon’s first, just-opened brick-and-mortar store, may be a direct competitor to supermarkets, but Sprouts Farmers Market is still enjoying the benefits of a home delivery partnership with the online retail giant. “We're in the midst of ongoing discussions with Amazon in connection with how we both move together and expand this relationship, as clearly both parties are happy with the relationship,” Sprouts CFO Brad Lukow said during an investors conference Monday. (supermarketnews.com)
UK: Nisa launches Christmas promotion on fresh produce
Nisa Retail is offering a “budget-busting” offer on Christmas dinner vegetables with its ‘Festive Five’ deal. The deal offers five Christmas dinner essential fresh vegetables from Nisa’s own label Heritage range – Maris Piper potatoes (2kg/ RRP £1.50), Brussel sprouts (500g/ RRP £1), carrots (1kg/ RRP 79p), parsnips (500g/ RRP £1), and a savoy cabbage (RRP 69p) – all for 39p each. The Festive Five offer is available from 5 December until 2 January 2017. (kamcity.com)
Publix moves towards new $28m facility
Ramping up production in its home state, Publix Super Markets has unveiled details for its next multi-million dollar project. The retail chain is in moves to build a new $28m facility in Lakeland, under the code-name Project Suede. "We are exploring possible opportunities for additional office space for support associates and, as part of our due diligence process, we are researching available incentives in various areas," stated Publix Spokesman and Media and Community Relations Manager Brian West in an email, according to The Ledger. (delimarketnews.com)
New format Polish Carrefour to offer 200 fruit/veg products
Carrefour has continued the expansion of its 'Gourmet' format beyond the Warsaw region in Poland, the retailer announced on Monday. It boasts a wide array of products, including items smoked in-store, 200 fruit and vegetable products, and local references. (esmmagazine.com)
Revealed: Why Aussies have given online grocery shopping the BIG thumbs down!
Please, click here to read the article.
'No history' of large supermarkets meeting discounters on price: ex-Aldi exec
Please, click here to read the article.
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Nisa launches fresh produce promotion for Christmas
Ahold Delhaize to invest in own brands; eyes a doubling of sales
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-23 New slicing tomato on the market
- 2023-03-23 Organic grower introduces Italian sweet peppers
- 2023-03-13 Gilfresh Produce bringing ‘Fresh Value’ to the market with Aldi Ireland
- 2023-02-13 Tesco no longer stocks yellow peppers due to supply challenges
- 2023-02-10 Aldi and Lidl are investing big to win the ‘hearts and minds’ of British farmers
- 2023-02-08 Strawberry boxes for Valentine's Day soon on the shelves
- 2023-01-23 Gradient arrangements of food highlights biodiversity not often seen in supermarkets
- 2023-01-12 Photo report: three Israeli supermarkets' fruit and vegetable sections
- 2023-01-12 AU: Coalition scrapped pesticide monitoring program that found residues 90 times the limit on strawberries
- 2023-01-09 Want the latest German retail fruit and vegetable weekly prices on Mondays at 11:30 a.m.?
- 2023-01-02 The 13 best songs about fruit of all time
- 2022-12-12 Austria: Vertically farmed lettuce grown in Italy, served few hours away
- 2022-10-10 Premium salad kits now available across the Midwest and East Coast
- 2022-10-05 Aldi takes fourth place in UK grocery market in 2022 as 3.1 million shoppers switch to the discounter
- 2022-09-14 Heatwave affects US supermarkets' produce sections
- 2022-09-06 "The pink tomato from Barbastro can be found in supermarkets throughout all of Spain"
- 2022-07-22 UK consumers are starting to doubt the quality of supermarket foods
- 2022-07-21 The “AirBnB” of indoor farms: Modern fresh food distribution using indoor farm as a service
- 2022-07-12 Sweden: Vertically cultivated salad now sold at online food platform
- 2022-07-11 France: Carrefour joins forces with NOUS anti-gaspi