- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Nigeria: Southern African tomatoes cheaper than local ones
A shortfall in access to finance, quality and affordable inputs, insurance, market information and secure land tenures, also mark the limitations of unlocking their true potential. As a result, agribusiness investors face higher risks, which discourages investment. This can lead to divestment, as seen in the South African Tiger Brands, which recently sold off operations in Ethiopia and Nigeria.
“I don’t think there is one silver bullet – there is a whole package of issues that need solving. But I think the issue of skills to increase productivity and provide competitiveness in Africa is absolutely core, no matter what size [the farmer] is,” said John Purchase, CEO of the Agricultural Business Chamber (Agbiz) in South Africa.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-10-02 Namibian producers have increasing access to global markets
- 2023-10-02 COAG Almeria denounces zucchini and cucumber prices don't cover production costs
- 2023-10-02 US: Intellectual property protections for new crop varieties have increased
- 2023-10-02 Pests detected in melons and tomatoes from Uzbekistan
- 2023-10-02 Launch of PlantwisePlus in Bangladesh to help increase climate-smart approach to plant health and food security
- 2023-10-02 Organic US strawberries bring growers higher prices than conventional berries
- 2023-10-02 "In Morocco, they are eager for knowledge from the Netherlands"
- 2023-10-02 UK govt allocates £12.5 million to projects focused on green farming innovation
- 2023-09-29 Cucumber and zucchini prices are significantly lower than in the same period of last year
- 2023-09-28 CAN (ON): Affordable housing investment project of $61.4M includes aquaponic farm
- 2023-09-28 Peppers pricey for this time of year
- 2023-09-28 California border patrol officers arrest man smuggling cocaine in cucumber shipment
- 2023-09-28 GfK figures and trends on fruit and vegetable consumption in Germany presented by Ulrike Singer
- 2023-09-28 Green, even more green, will it be houses or greenhouses in Harmelerwaard?
- 2023-09-27 "Shoppers may pay 50% more for tomatoes if the US puts duties on Mexican tomatoes"
- 2023-09-27 Spanish zucchini exports decrease by 18%