- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
Agricool raises €4M for indoor fruit and veg cultivation
Inside, all growing conditions are optimized: irrigation, lighting, CO2, etc. By doing so, a Cooltainer is 120 times more productive than the same space in the fields, without using pesticides, while reducing the amount of water needed by 90%, and only using renewable energy sources, Agricool claim. Cooltainers can be placed almost anywhere in cities and towns, and they can be managed even by those without any previous experience in farming. The first fruit that is being grown is the strawberry, one of the symbols of lost quality over the past several decades, according to the company.
Agricool has spent 2016 in a major Research & Development phase, going from a prototype Cooltainer to one that can be scaled everywhere. The startup went from 2 employees to 30, harvests have been multiplied by 10, and the team is now working in a 1500 square meter warehouse in La Courneuve, just outside the Parisian city limits.
Now, Agricool is announcing a €4M fundraising round with Daphni, Henri Seydoux (Parrot) and Jean Daniel Guyot (Trainline, formerly Captain Train). These funds will serve to speed up Agricool’s development: the goal for 2017 is to install 75 Cooltainers, distribute 91 tons of strawberries and begin work on two new crops.
Photos by Tony Trichanh
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-10-26 Singapore: Renewed library now features hydroponics room
- 2021-10-21 Teens for Food Justice program awarded 300k by USDA for hydroponic expansion
- 2021-10-20 Collaboration on 700 m2 pilot farm in China
- 2021-10-20 Tackling climate issues with low-resource consuming growing towers
- 2021-10-19 ‘It’s not as carbon-hungry’: UK’s largest sunlit vertical farm begins harvest
- 2021-10-19 Unmanned vertical farm in China: is this what the future looks like?
- 2021-10-15 "We can focus more on quality and how the product satisfies consumer needs”
- 2021-10-15 UK grower trials aeroponic propagation system
- 2021-10-13 Irish supermarket to sell hydroponic microgreens
- 2021-10-08 China: Why the growth cycle of rice can be split in half
- 2021-10-01 Todd P. Hanna announced as new COO
- 2021-09-22 This "glass tree" vertical farm could solve urban food deserts
- 2021-09-16 Chinese scientists grow rice that yields twice faster in hydroponic experiment
- 2021-09-02 Building facilities across Canada, as well as in Greater London and Copenhagen
- 2021-09-01 US (PA): Mobile lab brings aquaponics closer to society
- 2021-08-26 Fresh herbs from halls and bunkers
- 2021-08-26 "The base of our technology is R&D in product development"
- 2021-08-16 "We reduced the cost of cooling by just cooling the plant roots”
- 2021-07-08 Danish retail is committed to vertical crop products
- 2021-07-08 "Crops from the vertical farm have more flavor and a longer shelf life"