- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Operations Manager Organic Farm Barka Oman
Top 5 -yesterday
- Coating with a helicopter
- Consuming environmentally sustainable food one beer at a time
- Vapor Pressure Deficit calculator app for indoor cultivation and greenhouses
- Fury at polyhouses installed without planning permission near Stafford
- US: Hydroponic farm signs partnership to deliver fresh lettuce year-round
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "Honduras greenhouse park to become the largest producer-exporter in the Central American region"
- Netherlands: Codema Systems Group declared bankrupt
- Shanghai: Young people who can't get vegetables start to "help themselves" through hydroponic vegetables
- Canada: Dutch holding company acquires Ontario Plants Propagation
- Google meets agriculture at Go Green Agriculture
Rooftop greenhouse under construction at Amsterdam hotel
The sustainable greenhouse that is built by Havecon & Partners on the roof of Hotel Amstelkwartier, meets the original idea of the hotel owners: creating a living building where the four cycles of energy, water, waste and resources are adjusted to each other as well as possible. The use of modern technology and materials, paired with a smart design, enables a circular cultivation system: water, waste and food scraps from the hotel restaurants are recycled. This way, the environment is also taken into account.
"It's not every day that Havecon & Partners build a greenhouse on a hotel that's under construction. But contractor Amstelside soon came to us for the perfect mix of parties that could deal with such a project. It confirms the good reputation our group members have in the market," says Henk Verbakel of Havecon. "There's quite a lot involved in terms of technique when you want to realize the client's ambitions down to the details. That was quite a challenge, but one we gladly accepted."
This horticultural project in Amsterdam is not unique. Growing vegetables and keeping animals in cities is trending. This trend of urban agriculture is also known as Urban Farming. At the beginning of 2016, a large greenhouse was built on an office building in Den Haag as well.
Reducing light emission and saving energy
Holland Scherming was responsible for developing and mounting the screening installation, that contains several sustainable features. Because of the artificial LED lighting that is used to grow the vegetables, light emission should be restricted during the winter months (September till April). To prevent light emission at night, an assimilation screen is installed. Besides that, the installation holds an energy screen as well, to prevent heat from escaping through the glass roof. At the same time, this climate screen allows enough sunlight into the greenhouse to illuminate the vegetables.
Looking to the future
In addition to the fact that the greenhouse system will be one of the most advanced in the world, the structure has been designed in such a way that all sorts of adjustments can be made easily. The greenhouse has four independent food systems that can all be controlled remotely. In addition, the system is completely integrated into the hotel's intelligent Priva building automation system. In case one of these systems fails, the others can take over. Additional capabilities have been built into the systems, to accommodate the cultivation of other crops.
One of the four independent systems doubles as a (nearly) closed ecosystem. The fish are cultivated in fish trays, and the water, including the fertilizer produced by the fish, is purified and passed on to the plants as food. So the greenhouse makes use of symbiotic water plants and animals. At the moment, research and trials are being conducted to cultivate larvae using food scraps from the hotel to become new fish, which would make the system truly 100% circular.
"Looking at all the aspects of development and construction of the greenhouse, you get an idea of how we will deal with our natural resources in the future," Verbakel says. "Of course I am very proud that we've been able to contribute to that development as Havecon & Partners!"
For more information:
2665 JE Bleiswijk
Tel. +31(0)10 266 32 70
Fax +31(0)10 266 32 71
2676 LS Maasdijk
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-18 Agro-industry: giant greenhouse with artificial intelligence
- 2022-05-17 Canada: B.C.'s cool, wet spring playing havoc with farmers
- 2022-05-16 US (NJ): Middletown high school north gets $10K grant for its greenhouse
- 2022-05-16 High-density vertical farm will supply enough leafy greens for all of British Columbia come fall
- 2022-05-16 Ireland: Cill Ulta glasshouse redevelopment launce in Falcarragh
- 2022-05-16 Industrial clusters of the entire value chain can better drive the development of China's protected agriculture
- 2022-05-12 Iran: New greenhouse estates to be set up in Gilan province
- 2022-05-12 Smartkas signs MOU to build greenhouses in Brazil
- 2022-05-12 Green Life Farms set to construct fourth farm in Florida
- 2022-05-10 Small tomatoes leverage a big industry in the Baiyin Haisheng Smart Greenhouse Industrial Park
- 2022-05-09 Iran: Area under greenhouse cultivation tripled in Hormozgan in 6 years
- 2022-05-09 Philippines: Legarda’s greenhouse project in San Remigio seen to boost Antique’s counter-insurgency efforts
- 2022-05-06 Family farm gets high tunnels to protect against excess of rain
- 2022-05-06 Indiana-grown: take a look inside Dead Headers Greenhouse
- 2022-05-05 "It took some time to find the ideal plant growing conditions on the Bahamas"
- 2022-05-05 UK: Forres polytunnel plan receives £7724 cash grant
- 2022-05-05 Organized greenhouse zone application is accepted in Nevsehir, Turkey
- 2022-05-04 Taking a look inside a Dutch thermal berry greenhouse
- 2022-05-03 32 acres of high-wire greenhouse available for lease in Tehachapi, CA
- 2022-05-02 China: First phase of new horticultural tomato greenhouse Henan completed in July