- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Operations Manager Organic Farm Barka Oman
Top 5 -yesterday
- Coating with a helicopter
- Consuming environmentally sustainable food one beer at a time
- Vapor Pressure Deficit calculator app for indoor cultivation and greenhouses
- Fury at polyhouses installed without planning permission near Stafford
- US: Hydroponic farm signs partnership to deliver fresh lettuce year-round
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "Honduras greenhouse park to become the largest producer-exporter in the Central American region"
- Netherlands: Codema Systems Group declared bankrupt
- Shanghai: Young people who can't get vegetables start to "help themselves" through hydroponic vegetables
- Canada: Dutch holding company acquires Ontario Plants Propagation
- Google meets agriculture at Go Green Agriculture
Polish importers switching to Spanish cucumbers
The domestic season generally runs from the end of February/early March, through to the latter part of October.
An importer working for the company said that they would actually be better off at the moment sourcing from Spain, where the current prices are actually lower than the domestic supply, and supplies are quite large. However, this price situation could easily change once the Polish supply ends for the season.
Cucumber production remains seasonal in Poland because many producers don't see the benefit of switching over to year round production.
"There is only one large producer in Poland who is able to offer cucumbers year round. They recently made some investments into artificial lighting, but this is still on a small scale. More Polish growers could make the switch in the future, but at the moment it is all about price. The growers are faced with import prices which are often cheaper or at the same level as Polish cucumbers, along with larger volumes."
Cucumbers are sourced primarily from Spain, but the importer also looks to the Netherlands to fill any gaps when retail demand increases.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-20 Japan is looking to Morocco to help ensure its food security
- 2022-05-20 Soaring temperatures reflected in fruit and vegetable prices
- 2022-05-20 U.S. Dept of Labor recovers $225K in back wages for agri workers in California
- 2022-05-20 Will Artificial Intelligence and robotics usher in an era of sustainable precision agriculture?
- 2022-05-20 "Cauliflower season in Poland started without any delays"
- 2022-05-19 General Authority for Statistics: Prices of some goods up by 36%
- 2022-05-19 Soaring dollar rates affect Pakistan fruit and vegetable prices
- 2022-05-19 "At the end of the day, everyone has to pay a higher price for the gas”
- 2022-05-19 Climate change is already taking its toll on Spanish agriculture
- 2022-05-19 Berries become Mexico’s number one agri-food export product
- 2022-05-19 Significant increases in price for fruit this week; red cherries, seedless watermelons, Bartlett pears
- 2022-05-19 Viet Nam - U.S. Agricultural cooperation: reliability and mutual benefit
- 2022-05-19 Australian growers again see Queensland floods ruin crops
- 2022-05-18 Poland ranked third among EU countries, regarding strawberry production
- 2022-05-18 Malaysia: Modern farming popular with young agropreneurs
- 2022-05-18 Estonia: Tomato and cucumber production costs up
- 2022-05-18 Bangalore: Vegetables enter the 'Rs 100 club'
- 2022-05-18 Movement of Mexican asparagus crossing through Arizona, California and Texas expected to increase
- 2022-05-18 94.1% of the fruits and vegetables exported by Spain are transported by truck
- 2022-05-18 Australia: Union alliance and Woolworths partnership should support all workers