- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
- "Affordable organic foods can be produced from commercial aquaponic greenhouse farms"
- Can cucumbers save a cannabis company?
- "Adhesive tape offers a solution to a common problem in the industry"
- UK cucumber growers won't plant until late February or March
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- Is ozone effective against ToBRFV?
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- COFRA Holding and Mastronardi acquire AppHarvest's Berea greenhouse
Copa & Cogeca makes producer organizations a top priority
Speaking after the vote in Brussels, Mr Appeltans said “Fruit and vegetable POs such as cooperatives have played a positive role in helping producers to get a better price for their fruit and vegetables during the agricultural crisis. It was recognition of the positive role of POs which include cooperatives in the fruit and vegetable sector that led, in the last reform of the CAP, the EU to put more focus on tools to support POs like cooperatives. And it must be continued and built on in the CAP post-2020 when an options paper is set to be released on this by the EU Commission in Summer next year. We also need to make sure that the new member states encourage farmers to join POs like cooperatives as they are not very developed in these countries. They are highly concentrated in Belgium, France, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands in the fruit and vegetable sector and we need to help them and extend them to other countries to enable farmers to better market their produce and get a better return for it.”
“We also need to overcome hurdles and legal obstacles so that POs which include cooperatives can get bigger and be on a more level playing field with retailers”, he added. “Finally, our sector has been hit hard by the Russian crisis and it will be a priority for me to find additional market outlets for our quality produce and overcome SPS obstacles to trade”, he said.
Mr Appeltans, Secretary-General of The Association of Belgian Horticultural Auctions (VBT) and member of the Belgian Farm Organisation Boerenbond, was unanimously elected as Chairman of Copa & Cogeca Fruit and Vegetable Working Party in Brussels this week for two years. He will be supported by two Vice Chairman Mr Sergio Tondini from the Italian Cooperative Alliance and Mr Krzysztof Krzesniak from the Polish Agriculture Organisation Solidarnosc (NSZZ). Mr Appeltans will take over from Hans Vans Es from the Dutch Organisation DPA who has helped to ensure for many years a viable fruit and vegetable sector.
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-26 UK cucumber growers won't plant until late February or March
- 2023-01-26 South African consumer has to expect higher-priced tomatoes in near future
- 2023-01-26 Morocco approaches the volume of tomatoes that Spain sold in the European Union
- 2023-01-26 “The blueberry sector is looking to expand its production window in Huelva”
- 2023-01-26 NL: How popular is greenhouse horticulture among young people?
- 2023-01-26 Prices of tomatoes skyrocket at Koyambedu market in Chennai
- 2023-01-26 Qatar produces more vegetables than it needs
- 2023-01-25 Frost destroyed vegetable crops in the south of Kazakhstan
- 2023-01-25 "Spanish tomatoes, bell peppers' situation finally improving"
- 2023-01-25 Average price vine tomato drops, loose tomato rises further in week 3
- 2023-01-25 European Commission unveils new packaging regulations – to take effect from 2025
- 2023-01-25 Effects of Brexit have become clearer for UK growers
- 2023-01-24 Horticultural products drive total U.S. agricultural import growth
- 2023-01-24 DE: Agricultural Minister of Colombia explores opportunities for cooperation
- 2023-01-24 India: Joint Kisan Manch seeks policy for farmers and horticulturists in Himachal
- 2023-01-23 Crisis update: TTF gas price dives below €60/MWh
- 2023-01-23 "Procurement costs of Turkish goods sometimes increased by up to 50 percent"
- 2023-01-23 Bulgaria: Third largest importer of Turkish tomatoes
- 2023-01-23 Türkiye starts 2023 with a large minimum wage hike
- 2023-01-20 Why is lettuce getting more expensive?