- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
- Vegetable Seed - EU Sales and Regional Manager
- Business Developer – High Tech Horticulture
- Operations Manager Organic Farm Barka Oman
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "Honduras greenhouse park to become the largest producer-exporter in the Central American region"
- Netherlands: Codema Systems Group declared bankrupt
- Shanghai: Young people who can't get vegetables start to "help themselves" through hydroponic vegetables
- Canada: Dutch holding company acquires Ontario Plants Propagation
- Google meets agriculture at Go Green Agriculture
US (ND): Williston tests season extension with high tunnels
Nesson Valley is one of three test sites across the state exploring just how much season extension is possible in a high tunnel or hoop house. The other two locations are in Bottineau at the Dakota College and in Absaraka at the Dale E. Herman Research Arboretum, where a new tunnel was just built this spring. The $173,000 grant for the three test sites came from the North Dakota specialty crop block grant program.
The Williston tunnel has already successfully extended the season for vegetables considerably longer than the neighboring, open-air side plot, according to Kyla Splichal, horticulture research specialist overseeing the project for the Williston Research Extension Center.
“The frost we had two weeks ago really stopped all outside vegetable production,” she said. “Although the cut flowers outside still seem to be producing.”
While the peppers, flowers and tomatoes are still growing strong, the cucumbers in the hoop house have unfortunately slowed down — not due to weather, however.
“We’ve had some disease issues,” Splichal said. “That has affected production, although I think cucumbers kind of tire out after a while anyway.”
The high tunnel looks not only at how well season extension does in North Dakota but which varieties will work best. Production economics will also be evaluated, to see if cut flowers or other specialty crops can be grown profitably in them.
Read more at the Williston Herald
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-18 Agro-industry: giant greenhouse with artificial intelligence
- 2022-05-17 Canada: B.C.'s cool, wet spring playing havoc with farmers
- 2022-05-16 US (NJ): Middletown high school north gets $10K grant for its greenhouse
- 2022-05-16 High-density vertical farm will supply enough leafy greens for all of British Columbia come fall
- 2022-05-16 Ireland: Cill Ulta glasshouse redevelopment launce in Falcarragh
- 2022-05-16 Industrial clusters of the entire value chain can better drive the development of China's protected agriculture
- 2022-05-12 Iran: New greenhouse estates to be set up in Gilan province
- 2022-05-12 Smartkas signs MOU to build greenhouses in Brazil
- 2022-05-12 Green Life Farms set to construct fourth farm in Florida
- 2022-05-10 Small tomatoes leverage a big industry in the Baiyin Haisheng Smart Greenhouse Industrial Park
- 2022-05-09 Iran: Area under greenhouse cultivation tripled in Hormozgan in 6 years
- 2022-05-09 Philippines: Legarda’s greenhouse project in San Remigio seen to boost Antique’s counter-insurgency efforts
- 2022-05-06 Family farm gets high tunnels to protect against excess of rain
- 2022-05-06 Indiana-grown: take a look inside Dead Headers Greenhouse
- 2022-05-05 "It took some time to find the ideal plant growing conditions on the Bahamas"
- 2022-05-05 UK: Forres polytunnel plan receives £7724 cash grant
- 2022-05-05 Organized greenhouse zone application is accepted in Nevsehir, Turkey
- 2022-05-04 Taking a look inside a Dutch thermal berry greenhouse
- 2022-05-03 32 acres of high-wire greenhouse available for lease in Tehachapi, CA
- 2022-05-02 China: First phase of new horticultural tomato greenhouse Henan completed in July