- Breeding Trial Specialist
- Farm Manager Abu ADhabi
- Key Account Manager Canada and USA
- Export Sales Manager Europe Division
- Directors - New Zealand
- Nursery Production Manager Victoria Australia
- Technical Sales Consultant, Washington
- Export Sales Manager North America Exports
- Head Grower Hydroponic Greenhouse
- Account Manager – South-East Asia
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- "Honduras greenhouse park to become the largest producer-exporter in the Central American region"
- Netherlands: Codema Systems Group declared bankrupt
- Canada: Dutch holding company acquires Ontario Plants Propagation
- Autonomous robots can pick up to 25,000 raspberries per day
- 32 acres of high-wire greenhouse available for lease in Tehachapi, CA
Dutch propagator recirculating via Opticlear Diamond installation
"We haven't dumped our water in the ditch for years, but a substantial amount was discharged via the sewers. In the propagation of ornamentals, crop protection products are used that we absolutely cannot use with vegetable plants. In between cultivations, all the water, including the still useful fertilizers and crop protection products, were discharged into the sewer. Through the sewage, some of these products could enter the environment, and that's an undesirable situation.
"Because we work with seasonal products, so far it has been impossible to avoid this. But with the Water IQ installation, we can purge 99% of the crop protection products from the water, before it's discharged in the sewage. It's not even necessary to discharge into the sewer anymore, because we can recycle the used and purified water ourselves. However, until we can be 100% sure that the installation works properly, we will continue to discharge our clean water into the sewer.
"In addition to removing fertilizers and crop protection products, the installation is also used to kill viruses, bacteria and fungi. Of course, these were also removed from the water in the past, but back then it was done through heating. The Opticlear Diamond installation is profitable both for the environment and for our wallet. With the new method, we only use very little electricity for each cubic meter of purified water. Purification by heating took no less than one cubic meter of gas for every cubic meter of water.
"With the new Water IQ installation, we comply with new legislation on the use of certain crop protection products. What's more, an inverted nanofilter has been installed in the system. This prevents the accumulation of Na+ and K+, and we could lower the EC in order to reuse the water. This means we don't have to discharge water anymore if its EC or Na+ levels are too high.
"At our main location in Made, the installation has been in use for several months now. At the second location in Made, which is currently being equipped for the propagation of vegetable plants, the second Opticlear Diamond will be installed soon. Our location in 's-Gravenzande will follow early next year. All in all, we are trying to be as environmentally-friendly as possible in the production of vegetable plants and ornamentals."
For more information:
Westlandse Planten Kwekerij
4921 PM Made
Collse Heide 12
5674 VN Nuenen
+31(0)40 30 30 800
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-05-11 Drivers: the unsung heroes of the horticultural industry
- 2022-05-03 Canadian grower backs five-year plastics research project
- 2022-04-25 US (GA): Horticultural container manufacturer to invest $44 million in Toombs County
- 2022-04-06 Beekenkamp introduces new transport boxes for better automatic processing
- 2022-04-04 "Display enables nice placement of herbs and optimal brand presentation"
- 2022-03-30 Fast and flexible closing machine for cardboard trays with flaps
- 2022-03-30 'Perfecting trade amid overwhelming global developments'
- 2022-03-24 UK: Plastic Packaging Tax comes into force on April 1
- 2022-03-21 "Avoiding excess packaging and wastage"
- 2022-03-18 Wageningen University & Research extends roadmap for more sustainable food packaging
- 2022-03-17 "US shows a strong demand for flexible and innovative packaging lines for greenhouse-grown produce"
- 2022-03-17 "Refrigerated vehicles can be kept at service temperatures thanks to modern e-cooling systems"
- 2022-03-16 Belgian strawberry grower creates tool to asses sustainability of packaging
- 2022-03-16 "Where are paper prices headed? That's the big question"
- 2022-03-16 Panic in label land
- 2022-03-15 Wholesum Springs launches seasonal organic tomato pack
- 2022-03-15 Het Packhuys will debut with the Fusion at Fruit Logistica
- 2022-03-14 "NoW flowpack packaging responds to the market's demand for sustainability"
- 2022-03-11 "The topic of sustainable packaging continues to be a big issue"
- 2022-03-04 The demand for antioxidant solutions for lettuce increases