Wageningen University and Research centre launches the FoodProfiler app today. This app provides information on who, what, when, why and how food is eaten. After completing their profile, users see what type of eater they are as well as the areas they should pay attention to. Information on consumption patterns can then be used to improve policy, product development and strategies in the field of health and sustainability. With this app, Wageningen UR has developed a new method of gathering data on consumption patterns.
The app demonstrates how often people eat a certain product or category of product, such as how often they eat vegetables throughout the week, and the motives behind why people eat what they eat. It also shows at what times the user of the app eats during the day, as well as which products are consumed together and in what proportions these products are consumed. The app also charts differences between demographic groups and between regions or cities.
Consumers are increasingly looking for information on their diet and the impact of their choices. Once to twice a day, FoodProfiler sends a reminder to users to fill in information on what they have eaten in the past two hours. After around two weeks, users will have completed their profile and be able to see what type of eater they are as well as the areas they should pay attention to. Alongside this, the data from this app provides valuable information for scientists and policymakers, as they can use the data to optimise health and sustainability in society. Data is collected anonymously.
FoodProfiler offers governments and the business community the opportunity to better coordinate policy and product development according to the needs and behaviour of consumers, thereby increasing the success of strategies aimed at encouraging health and sustainability. The near-time registration over the past two hours, the long-term measurements and the large groups of consumers provide an abundance of reliable information on diet and eating patterns.
This information is crucial for researchers, as they currently do not have any large-scale, up-to-date and reliable data on consumption that can be linked to consumers' psychological characteristics. FoodProfiler means that data can be gathered in an international context and used to perform research into consumer behaviour in relation to food consumption patterns.
Source: Wageningen UR
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
- EU Sales and Region manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- GreenTech Americas: a resilient industry through challenging times
- Research uncovers a new approach to cooling greenhouse irrigation water
- Pepsico’s greenhouse accelerator program call for applications is now open
- What role do weeds play in the transmission of ToBRFV?
- Spain: Phase 1 of tomato glasshouse completed and operational, phase 2 underway
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "We harvest 40,000 heads of lettuce per day"
- Japanese Berry Pop fresh strawberry seeds now available for global markets
- Kuwait: Aeroponic greenhouse to continue country's effort to cut down import
- A greenhouse full of cherry blossoms in Hungary
- UK shortages? "Enough iceberg lettuce to sink the Titanic"
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-23 New tropical mini pepper launched
- 2023-03-23 "In the organic and Demeter segment in particular, our product has already become well established"
- 2023-03-20 Spring seasonal vegetables include agretti, strigoli, and radicchio
- 2023-03-17 Tasty Tom gets a new look
- 2023-03-15 Can plastic pads provide the same air cooling as paper pads?
- 2023-03-01 Greenhouse grown strawberry tomatoes make their debut
- 2023-02-15 Up to 15 percent more yield and increased resistance
- 2023-02-15 Extending lifespan of substrate while improving plant growth and lower disease pressure
- 2023-02-09 "Presenting Europe's lightest PP bucket"
- 2023-02-07 Three new AVA™ strawberry varieties launched
- 2023-02-01 Scanner uses algorithms and NIR sensor to identify freshness of avocados and strawberries
- 2023-01-30 New tray system launched improving under-canopy airflow
- 2022-12-23 "In today's inflationary environment, choice of horticultural twine is an investment decision"
- 2022-12-16 Air bubble film to boost yields and protect greenhouses from the elements
- 2022-11-29 Australia: baby cucumbers launch limited edition football pack to promote as a healthy sporting snack
- 2022-11-08 New blackberry and raspberry launching in 2023
- 2022-10-25 ‘Kawaguchi RZ meets Chinese consumers’ requirements for pink tomatoes’
- 2022-10-21 New snack packaging for tomatoes unveiled
- 2022-10-19 "We have launched a reuseable 4G wireless temperature and humidity location recorder with light sensors"
- 2022-10-18 “Company clothing is part of the operation in terms of hygiene, appearance, and comfort”