- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
- "Even light intensity at every spot in the greenhouse"
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
US: Georgia Organics tours teach kids to eat their veggies
Many wanted to integrate school gardens into their curricula. Several wanted to strengthen community ties with local farmers. Some wanted a better library with healthy eating and gardening books. And everybody wanted to get students excited about eating the healthy, delicious local menu options in the cafeteria.
During the workshop, educators participated in farm to school science, math, reading, and writing lessons, and brainstormed simple, yet crucial, next steps for building their programs.
The model lessons were connected to Georgia curriculum standards with an emphasis on easy preparation and utilizing easily accessible materials teachers are likely to have on hand.
An Atlanta teacher reflected, “I love the realistic ideas for the classroom. They are completely possible!”
Another was excited that these were “lessons that I can actually incorporate into my classroom.”
Educators recognized the importance of building support within the school building to increase buy-in for farm to school. Ideas for engaging the community ranged from building on existing activities, such as transforming an annual parent picnic day into a farm to school fundraiser in Athens, to getting a team together discuss how to start a school garden at a Bleckley County elementary school or simply starting a conversation with the person that started the school garden at an Atlanta school.
A Bleckley County School Nutrition staff member said she wanted to connect better with her school “to let teachers know that they can bring vegetables into the cafeteria so we can prepare them and add them to lunch.”
For more information:
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-13 Retailer registration opens for Organic Produce Summit 2023
- 2022-12-16 "We aim to go entirely organic”
- 2022-12-09 Spreading the nutritional value of microgreens on a national scale after amazing flood rebuild
- 2022-11-01 Organic consumption holds up if the supply range is extended
- 2022-10-18 Organic Grower Summit 2022 announces Grower of the Year
- 2022-09-23 Texas A&M AgriLife research to improve organic spinach production
- 2022-08-09 Cost Share Organic Certification Fee application period still open
- 2022-07-07 Revamped baby leaf containers to debut at Organic Produce Summit
- 2022-02-24 Consultants in organic farming get to the heart of the matter with growers
- 2022-02-01 U.S. organic produce sales top $9 billion in 2021
- 2021-10-27 Canadian greenhouse grower expands organics program
- 2021-09-27 Organic shoppers demand sustainable packaging
- 2021-09-21 Greenhouse growers present on Organic Produce Summit
- 2021-09-16 The UK horticulture conference created by growers for growers is back!
- 2021-06-03 Booth registration opens for Organic Grower Summit
- 2021-06-01 Pinduoduo embarks on first-of-its-kind study into plant-based meats
- 2021-05-07 Organic pak choi grown in good Dutch soil
- 2021-04-26 The World Food Innovation Awards awards the Monterosa tomato as the best natural and organic product
- 2021-04-23 Strategic organic partnership carries over to upcoming show
- 2021-04-01 "A coherent strategy for organic is essential"