Ciudad Real produces more than 80% of the total

Spain: Castile-La Mancha to produce around 38,000 tonnes of peppers

The production of peppers this campaign in the Spanish province of Ciudad Real will be similar to that of 2015, with around 30,000 tonnes, according to industry sources.

With 750 hectares devoted to this crop, mainly in the counties of La Mancha and Montiel, as revealed by data of the Ministry of Agriculture (Magrama), Ciudad Real is the regional leader in the cultivation of peppers, accounting for more than 80 percent of Castile-La Mancha's production (38,000 tonnes) and 90% of the acreage (985 hectares).

The president of the cooperative La Moraleja, of Villanueva de los Infantes, Luis Mena, highlighted the "good conditions" for the plants, "despite the heat," and that the cooperative will sell 100% of its volume for fresh consumption, with 92% going to the domestic market (both red and green peppers) and the other 8% to Portugal.

He also said they are still waiting to obtain the protected geographical indication (PGI) in the area, with the application handled by the City Council of Infantes.

Regarding the profitability of peppers in the area, where about 300 hectares are cultivated, he said that "the net profit at the moment is lower because of the cost of labour," although it manages to reach at least the production costs.

For his part, Manuel Carmona, producer of Argamasilla de Alba, estimated that prices at origin will range between 28 and 30 cents for a production which they expect will be quite large, given the vegetative state of the plant.

The harvesting of peppers lasts for three months, starting from early September.


Source: lanzadigital.com

Publication date:



Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here


Other news in this sector:


Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber