- Head of Agronomy: Research & Development - Berlin, Germany
- Africa Fruit Export Sales Manager - South Africa
- Grower - Philippines
- Assistant technical manager
- Food Safety and Quality Director - South Bend (IN) USA
- Commercial Manager - United Kingdom or The Netherlands
- Tomato Grower, Chapais - Canada
- Director of UbiGro Sales - California, Oregon, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada USA
- UbiGro Sales Representative - California, USA
- Greenhouse Crop Specialist - Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- "New lettuce concept meets demand for greater convenience for grower and consumer alike"
- Plant-based fertilizer behind first line of USDA certified organic greenhouse lettuce
- "I spent many hours in front of my computer, now I'm connected to nature again"
- Scientists unlock potential to yield “diet” fruit
- "Our goal is to reach more than 400 hectares in the next 3 years"
Top 5 -last month
US (FL): Effects of anaerobic soil disinfestation in tomato
In Immokalee, Pic-Clor 60 (1,3-dichloropropene + chloropicrin) was used as the CSF, whereas in Citra, the CSF was Paldin [dimethyl disulfide (DMDS) + chloropicrin]. Anaerobic soil disinfestation treatments were applied using a mix of composted poultry litter (CPL) at the rate of 22 Mg·ha−1, and two rates of molasses [13.9 (ASD1) and 27.7 m3·ha−1 (ASD2)] as a carbon (C) source.
In both locations, soil subjected to ASD reached highly anaerobic conditions, and cumulative soil anaerobiosis was 167% and 116% higher in ASD2 plots than in ASD1 plots, in Immokalee and Citra, respectively. In Immokalee, the CSF provided the most significant weed control, but ASD treatments also suppressed weeds enough to prevent an impact on yield. In Citra, all treatments, including the CSF, provided poor weed control relative to the Immokalee site. In both locations, the application of ASD provided a level of root-knot nematode (Meloidogyne sp.) control equivalent to, or more effective than the CSF.
In Immokalee, ASD2 and ASD1 plots provided 26.7% and 19.7% higher total marketable yield as compared with CSF plots, respectively. However, in Citra, total marketable yield was unaffected by soil treatments. Tomato fruit quality parameters were not influenced by soil treatments, except for fruit firmness in Immokalee, which was significantly higher in fruits from ASD treatments than in those from CSF soil. Fruit mineral content was similar or higher in ASD plots as compared with CSF. In fresh-market tomato, ASD applied using a mixture of CPL and molasses may be a sustainable alternative to CSF for maintaining or even improving marketable yield and fruit quality.
Access the study at HortScience.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2021-02-26 Underground water systems; there's a lot we know (and a lot we don't)
- 2021-02-25 FruitHydroSinni: 'We turned a problem into a business opportunity'
- 2021-02-25 Japan opens super sprout factory
- 2021-02-25 Study on cucumber's response to regulated irrigation and mulching
- 2021-02-24 Selling seedlings in Uganda
- 2021-02-24 The Brussels start-up has launched its "urban farm"
- 2021-02-23 Ultraviolet transparency of plastic films determines quality of lettuce in greenhouse
- 2021-02-23 Data-driven cultivation accelerates development of variety-specific cultivation formulas
- 2021-02-22 AU: Cecil Plains farmers trial N-Drip irrigation system in summer crops
- 2021-02-22 Improve efficiency and accuracy in indoor irrigation systems
- 2021-02-22 Iran starts programme to reinvigorate agricultural innovation in the country
- 2021-02-22 CA: Fresno farmer grows variety of mushrooms inside 900 square-foot building
- 2021-02-19 Niagara Falls' Walker Environmental Group wants to keep greenhouse waste out of landfills
- 2021-02-19 Australian couple shares secret to growing monster vegetables after harvesting 6KG zucchini
- 2021-02-18 Bangladesh: Is floating agriculture a solution to floods?
- 2021-02-18 "I am very happy to be able to grow fresh herbs here in the north"
- 2021-02-17 "The perfect sensor for coco substrates"
- 2021-02-16 Take a look inside this underground mushroom farm
- 2021-02-12 Study on efficient water management in US agriculture
- 2021-02-12 Resistance to extraction of 40,000 megalitres of water a year from arid Central Australia