On Friday, November 13th, 2015, the Supreme Court of the Netherlands awarded to AIB (Anti Infringement Bureau) its cassation request concerning the infringement of Plant Breeders' Rights by the company Novisem.
The case concerned a suspected infringement by the company Novisem located in Baarlo (NL) on Plant Breeders Rights of various Dutch seed companies. On 13 November 2015 the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the AIB and sentenced the company Novisem to pay the court costs, after the courts gave the AIB wrong in the first instance and on appeal.
In an explanation Casper van Kempen, managing director of AIB, emphazises the importance of this ruling, "This fundamental decision is of great importance for the whole seed sector. The ruling confirms that protected varieties may not just be offered, also not conditionally, by a third party before the expiration of Plant Breeders’ Rights. The latter may be also the case even if the Plant Breeders’ Rights does not exist in any country but it does in the Netherlands. Secondly this verdict also confirms the legitimacy to move on a reasonable suspicion of infringement, to seize information and materials and to forthwith study them."
Together with the seed industry AIB attaches great importance to protecting intellectual property rights, especially the Plant Breeders' Rights (PBR), and taking action against infringers. PBR ensures that seed companies are rewarded for developing new and improved vegetable varieties. The AIB member companies invest a substantial amount in research and breeding activities. The rewards come back via the seeds' sales price and these returns are then used to continue the R & D investments and efforts for developing new varieties.
For more information:
Anti-Infringement Bureau for IP Rights on Plant Material (AIB)
Rue du Luxembourg 23/13
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
- EU Sales and Region manager
Top 5 - yesterday
- GreenTech Americas: a resilient industry through challenging times
- Research uncovers a new approach to cooling greenhouse irrigation water
- Pepsico’s greenhouse accelerator program call for applications is now open
- What role do weeds play in the transmission of ToBRFV?
- Spain: Phase 1 of tomato glasshouse completed and operational, phase 2 underway
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "We harvest 40,000 heads of lettuce per day"
- Japanese Berry Pop fresh strawberry seeds now available for global markets
- Kuwait: Aeroponic greenhouse to continue country's effort to cut down import
- A greenhouse full of cherry blossoms in Hungary
- UK shortages? "Enough iceberg lettuce to sink the Titanic"
Infringement of Plant Breeders' Rights by Novisem:
NL: Supreme Court rules in favor of AIB
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-23 Nanotube sensors are capable of detecting and distinguishing gibberellin plant hormones
- 2023-03-23 Where Vietnamese horticulture challenges meet Dutch solutions
- 2023-03-22 LUX: How a greenhouse on the roof of a building in Bettembourg works
- 2023-03-22 Research as a Service at a fraction of the cost revealed at Indoor Ag-Con 2023
- 2023-03-22 Technological innovation indispensable to horticulture
- 2023-03-21 Stronger plants & higher production with autonomous growing in Mexico
- 2023-03-21 Ridder receives 2023 CEA Center Mission Award
- 2023-03-20 How growers boost crop yields with greenhouse film EVO AC®
- 2023-03-20 Rebranded Stolze Mexico expands into North American market as GROWA
- 2023-03-17 "The system accurately and consistently places interlocking trays on a pallet"
- 2023-03-17 “Any new greenhouse project should be properly designed in terms of financial profitability”
- 2023-03-17 Wicketed bagger is the solution for smaller produce
- 2023-03-17 New DLG platform for food production of the future
- 2023-03-17 Translating the sound of bees to pollinate indoor farms
- 2023-03-17 "Automatic nutrient measurement is ready to be put into practice"
- 2023-03-16 Plantonomy ready for application in pepper cultivation
- 2023-03-15 Benchmarking plant behaviour to increase yields
- 2023-03-15 Combining aquaponics and hydroponics in a 2 hectare Bahrain facility
- 2023-03-14 Trial and error in Dutch greenhouse: Can autonomous systems work well together?
- 2023-03-14 Crop receives its own organic substances back via recirculation of drain water