- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
- Packaging Supervisor
- Nursery Production Manager South Australia
- Advisor / Account manager horticulture Japan
Top 5 -yesterday
- Artificial photosynthesis can produce food without sunshine
- Finnish lettuce greenhouse uses industry waste wood to heat the greenhouse
- New ToBRFV-resistant varieties presented for Mexico
- CABY virus resurfaces in cucumber greenhouse: "Sometimes there was hardly any aphid to be found in the crop"
- 21-year-old student establishes hydroponics business with only P1,000
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
"Brazil's table tomato is no longer "the king of pesticides"
The 1st Tomato Award contest was organized on 15 and 16 September, parallel with the 6th National Table Tomato Seminar in Piracicaba, 150 kilometers north of Sao Paulo. The objective of the contest was to introduce and open the discussion about quality and flavour aspects, and to highlight the importance of this and food safety among the Brazilian tomato industry.
A total of 20 tomato growers from 4 Brazilian states (Sao Paulo, Minas Gerais, Espirito Santo and Paraná) with different production setups (open field, greenhouses, soil, hydroponics) competed together in 3 different categories: grape, Italian and round tomatoes.
A group formed by eleven students, professors and professionals, together with the Food Technological Institute from Campinas, SP was responsible for all physical, chemical and sensorial analysis. The tomato samples were evaluated for physical and chemical characteristics (brix, acid, pH), and also according to sensorial parameters such as color, appearance, firmness, texture, flavor, acidity, sweetness, succulence.
Grower Stefan Coppelmans (right) won in the grape and round tomato category
Grower Stefan Coppelmans, a native Dutchman, from the city of Andradas, Minas Gerais was the overall winner in the grape and round tomato category. Winner of the Italian category was grower Geraldo Vieira da Silva from the city ofIndaiatuba. Both awarded growers have greenhouses and hydroponics production.
Geraldo Vieira da Silva won in the Italian category.
Mrs. Simone Mello Ph.D. from ESALQ was named independent auditor of the Tomato Awards. She gave an inspiring declaration for producers and people from the sector:
“It was a unique experience to work as Independent Auditor during this first Tomato Award that used a scientific methodology for quality evaluation. Congratulations to all collaborators and growers that accepted to participate in this project. Quality improvement is a challenge that requests continuous advanced production of technological systems, which need to be able to guarantee a competitive market in response to consumer demands. Brazil's sector will be moving forward with these kinds of initiatives and innovations."
The Tomato Award was organized by ABCSEM and WIN EVENTOS. The Brazilian Greenhouse Consulting Company EACEA was responsible for managing the contest and technical responsibilities. The Food Technological Institute from Campinas, SP was responsible for all physical, chemical and sensorial analysis.
More information about this contest and Tomato Award results can be found here: www.tomatedemesa.com.br
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-20 Improve greenhouse management efficiency to counter lack of labor
- 2022-06-14 No drama with climate management at Drama greenhouse, Greece
- 2022-06-06 Leafy greens and vine crops grow in tropical Thai greenhouse
- 2022-06-06 Dubai grower helps tropical fruit thrive through modern methods
- 2022-06-02 New blueberry variety thriving at Australian grower
- 2022-05-27 Labor and inflation major challenges for the UK soft fruit industry
- 2022-05-25 Mariusz has a good fit with employer Blueberries Grathem
- 2022-05-23 "A horticulturist will always have a good foundation for a position with a breeder"
- 2022-05-20 Consuming environmentally sustainable food one beer at a time
- 2022-05-19 An entrepreneur from the Berdyuzhsky district opened a greenhouse for growing vegetables, seedlings, and herbs
- 2022-05-18 Dutch propagator grows vegetables and flowers under the same (glass)roof
- 2022-05-13 Ontario premier visits Canadian cucumber greenhouse
- 2022-05-09 US (MA): Roxbury’s Dudley greenhouse gives residents chance to grow their own food
- 2022-05-06 New innings: Pro sportsman trades cricket bat for aquaponics
- 2022-05-06 "You just can’t fool the consumer"
- 2022-05-02 Richard Ward wins the 2021 ANBP Award of Excellence
- 2022-05-02 Irish grower secures new €7.5M contract with Aldi
- 2022-04-22 "Cooperative marketing will prove its worth, even in times of crisis"
- 2022-04-22 Have a look in the Lufa Farms greenhouse
- 2022-04-22 India: Ex-accountant uses hydroponics to help thousands of farmers increase profits by 35%