Lucy Norris, Director of the Regional Food Systems Program at Ag Innovations will join the upcoming 4th Annual Seedstock Sustainable Agriculture Conference on November 3 – 4, 2015 at UC San Diego. Norris will discuss the important role of technology in impacting supply chain models and its ability to help insure the long-term viability of local food systems in California and around the country.
Lucy leads Ag Innovations’ efforts in identifying and developing creative projects to assure the long-term viability of local food systems in California and around the country. Food systems projects at Ag Innovations span a range of community, public health, environmental, social justice, and economic development topics on a range of geographic scales from the local to the state level. Lucy is responsible for overseeing the successful implementation of projects and coalitions, assuring that they are responsive to the challenges being faced, fulfilling the expectations of funders, and advancing a sustainable food system.
Prior to joining Ag Innovations, Lucy was known as a food systems pioneer in northwest Washington. As Director of Marketing for Northwest Agriculture Business Center, she leveraged “eat local” trends to identify and create a more viable and efficient local food infrastructure for the marketing, aggregation, distribution, and value-added processing of northwest Washington farm product. As Director of the Puget Sound Food Hub, she collaborated with farmers, businesses and partner organizations to develop a unique food hub model to increase farm sales, reduce costs and waste, address regulatory requirements, improve food safety standards and increase access to locally produced foods. She was instrumental in the development of the award winning Farm-to-Table program led by the City of Seattle to increase access to healthy local food for low-income children and seniors. The Capital Press named Lucy one of the 2014 Western Innovators.
Lucy is the author of Pickled: Preserving a World of Tastes and Traditions (2003), a collection of stories and recipes that emerged from a three-year oral history project with the New York Food Museum. Lucy helped launch the New York City International Pickle Day in 2001 (now called Lower East Side Pickle Day). She holds a MA in Food Studies from New York University, and a BA in Performance Studies and Cultural Anthropology also from NYU. Her work has been featured in a variety of media outlets, including The New York Times, Food Network, NPR’s Morning Edition, The Splendid Table, Lee Bros. Boiled Peanut Hour on Martha Stewart Living Radio, Saveur and more.
Discounted Seed Saver Tickets are available for a limited time so register now to hear Lucy speak at the 4th Annual Seedstock Sustainable Agriculture Conference by clicking here.
- Sales Representative Southeastern US
- Bedding and Perennials Sales Manager Europe
- Horticultural Technician
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Tissue Culture Laboratory Scientist
- Manager Operations & Logistics
- Vegetable Advisor (Permanent)
- Horticultural Commercial Director
- Senior Operations Manager Nursery
Top 5 - yesterday
- 10% increase of tomato production in the new Looije greenhouses
- AU: Provenance Propagation construction close to completion
- Busy days at GreenTech Americas 2023 in Mexico
- Indoor growers fight pests and diseases with LED lighting
- "If you don’t focus on the plant, you cannot develop the tech to be successful”
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-03-24 CPMA announces 2023 Passion for Produce participants
- 2023-03-24 Energy price crisis on vertical farming: where do we stand?
- 2023-03-24 Busy days at GreenTech Americas 2023 in Mexico
- 2023-03-23 "Best day ever for GreenTech Americas"
- 2023-03-23 Argus and Conviron selected as recipient of 2023 CEAC Mission Award
- 2023-03-22 GreenTech Americas: a resilient industry through challenging times
- 2023-03-20 Join the next ∑-Grow Inside seminar on March 28
- 2023-03-20 The World Pepper Congress will be held in Almeria in May
- 2023-03-17 Consortium to train Senegalese farmers in sustainable vegetable production
- 2023-03-17 AU: Horticulture Field Day at Tatura Smartfarm
- 2023-03-17 China Strawberry Brand Conference 2023 held in Shanghai
- 2023-03-17 'Don’t let the lights go out'
- 2023-03-16 RKW will put their LP-Keder products in the spotlight during the GreenTech Americas
- 2023-03-14 PIB India cluster heads off to Hyderabad and Delhi this April
- 2023-03-13 Packed program at Greentech Americas
- 2023-03-10 HortiFlora Expo Ethiopia comes to an end
- 2023-03-10 UK: CHA organizes comprehensive exhibitor support package for UK suppliers at GreenTech 2023
- 2023-03-10 Wartime berry growing and processing. Conference in Rivne, Ukraine
- 2023-03-07 Priva launches Academy live training sessions
- 2023-03-07 Record-breaking event for 10th anniversary edition of Indoor Ag-Con