- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
US: Solid board packaging made from tomato plants
Some time ago, Solidus Solutions and partners from the vegetable and fruit industry met for a brainstorm about the possibility to make solid board from tomato plants. The idea was conceived in the Westland region, the epicentre of fruit and vegetable growers in the Netherlands. The useful application of plant residue flows from tomato, pepper and cucumber crops, for instance, had been an item of discussion for some time. Once a year, the tomato plant residue flow becomes available in large quantities from the growers and is composted. However, it has now become possible to not compost these plants but to turn them into a valuable raw material that, in combination with waste paper fibres, can be processed into solid board. This solid board enriched with tomato plant fibres has also become part of the paper recycling chain.
The first test products of this tomato plant board have been realised at Solidus Solutions. At an earlier stage, Solidus Solutions supplied a 5kg tomato box made of this tomato plant board. Recently, this new solid board was used to produce packaging for exclusive Silky Pink cocktail tomatoes for Duijvestijn Tomaten, the most innovative producer of sustainably grown tasty tomato products. These pink coloured tomatoes are popular in Asian cuisine. That is why, besides Europe, the 3kg Silky Pink Tomatoes bio based packaging is also being delivered to destinations overseas.
This new solid board was also used to produce consumer packaging for 0,7 till 1 kg vine tomatoes for Harvest House, the fruiting vegetables growers association. The tomato plant fibre was deliberately made visible at the inside of this consumer packaging.
Packaging tomatoes in solid board enriched with tomato plant fibre contributes to a maximum reuse of these raw materials. With this process, Solidus Solutions has gained a valuable raw material for the production of solid board, which also contributes to the circular economy.
For more information:
Tel: +31 (0)619295218+31 (0)619295218
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 "ILLG thermoforming machine completes second phase of £1.5 mln investment"
- 2023-09-27 Cucumber robot line launches globally
- 2023-09-26 Fresh herbs in convenient packaging
- 2023-09-25 UPM Specialty Papers presents compostable food stickers for fruit and vegetables
- 2023-09-14 Horti Nigeria and EnGRAIS project focus on development of vegetable crops Agricultural Input Packages
- 2023-09-13 Brand refresh and new packaging approach for greenhouse vegetables unveiled
- 2023-09-12 "Useless European restrictions on plastic packaging: Asia does not even know what they are"
- 2023-09-12 $10M funding for post-harvest solution provider
- 2023-09-08 “A step closer to our one-stop-shop experience”
- 2023-09-07 Packaging company expands linerless label offering
- 2023-08-11 Europe, Canada, and the United States: Is it all the same for packaging?
- 2023-07-20 "Dutch greenhouse ginger cultivation's no problem; now to find the correct consumer packaging"
- 2023-07-18 “More and more vegetables and fruits will be packed in paper”
- 2023-07-18 UK partnership to save 150 tonnes of plastic on new strawberry punnets
- 2023-07-17 CAN (ON): Fieldless Farms introduces cardboard packaging
- 2023-07-14 Engineering a washing line for 1 m³ crates
- 2023-07-13 Launching organic salad blends in peel-and-reseal packaging design
- 2023-07-11 UK: Construction of a £5m food packhouse completed
- 2023-07-10 Start of the Horti Sustainable Packaging Initiative
- 2023-07-05 100% recyclable strawberry punnets