- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Significantly better results with new Iron fertilizers”
- What is the status of tomato brown rugose fruit virus in Europe?
- Race to emission-free greenhouse cultivation pushes growers to keep innovating
- BASF’s vegetable seeds and IUNU partner to advance digital phenotyping for hydroponic lettuce
- Infarm to make strategy shift, cuts 500 jobs
Top 5 -last month
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- "You can't grow on water without lights"
- "Our foliage plants grow bigger, faster, and more efficiently"
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- Mobile aeroponic system requires less maintenance and guarantees even irrigation
Greg Nowak, Ouding Bedding Plants:
"US (MN): "iSii compact helps me to grow crop more consistently"
About the company
Stan Ouding Bedding Plants Inc, established in 1971, is an ornamental floriculture and vegetable nursery at Market Street, Kalamazoo in Michigan USA. At this 10 acre nursery over 500 different kinds of vegetables and bedding plants are grown, such as Guinea Impatiens. With a team of 41-47 staff members 300,000 units are produced each year. These multi packs are mainly sold in garden centers spread over 20 states in the USA. Third generation owner Greg Nowak has upgraded his business with modern technology to make sure they can offer their customers the finest quality plants that the market offers.
Greg Nowak: “Everything with a motor on it, is automated in our double poly greenhouse. We have integrated computers for climate control, transplanting, quality control and inventory. For example we use real-time inventory: our customers can book their products even before the items hit the ground. These items are scheduled and saved for a particular customer in a preferred time frame. In 2014 we wanted to make our irrigation strategy more efficient. We contacted Anderson, of which we already had used 3 older systems, and they advised us to use the iSii compact. With this computer we do not need to use a calculator or do any math to mix up different fertilizers: it is programmed to do exactly what it needs to do.”
“The iSii compact really exceeds my expectations. What I find very convenient is that I can continuously monitor the current situation in my greenhouse on my iPhone, iPad or computer at a glance. This is important for me since I am not working in the field the whole day. I find the system very easy to use. For example: for some months we were having cooler temperatures. It was easy to dial up the fertilizer for a 100 parts per million for a couple of days. Since I have been using the iSii compact my crop is more consistent and I realize savings on water and fertilizers. I am also very positive about my contacts with Anderson/Hoogendoorn. They have been very open minded for my wishes and used my ideas to improve the system. In addition, issues were solved quickly. For these reasons I would definitely recommend this system to other growers.”
For more information
Hoogendoorn Growth Management
Annemieke van Balen
T: +31 (0)10 460 80 80+31 (0)10 460 80 80
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 "Our production costs have skyrocketed, yet produce prices have stayed the same"
- 2022-12-07 Taking lettuce production outside of California
- 2022-12-01 Race to emission-free greenhouse cultivation pushes growers to keep innovating
- 2022-11-22 Cultivation advisors visit Japan as horticulture tourists
- 2022-11-15 “Here in Türkiye, we heat greenhouses with geothermal water, which is much cheaper than gas”
- 2022-11-11 From supplying retail to the year-round cultivation of natural plant extracts
- 2022-11-11 Former grower Mark Bruinen supports growers in many areas
- 2022-11-09 Singapore: "Rooftop greenhouse made more sense due to lower energy requirements"
- 2022-11-03 “We control the environment entirely – we call it data-oriented cultivation”
- 2022-11-02 Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- 2022-10-31 Brassica grower improves yield, plant quality and efficiency
- 2022-10-31 Growing residue-free tomatoes for the Czech Republic market
- 2022-10-31 The rubbish bag is no longer needed: 40 years of advice in bell pepper cultivation
- 2022-10-31 Tomato grower Marc in podcast about trial balloons and lost growing contest over 'lots of crates of beer'
- 2022-10-28 Family business: growing tomatoes in greenhouses for over 60 years with an eye on innovations
- 2022-10-27 Are strawberries the cash crops for the Singapore market?
- 2022-10-24 Ab van Marrewijk bids farewell as Tomatoworld grower
- 2022-10-21 Philippines: New farm and products to be added as demand rises
- 2022-10-20 "Asian vegetables like Shanghai Bok Choy are almost commonplace"
- 2022-10-20 Philippines: Urban footpint and (inter)national aspirations gains interest of local and global investors