Top 5 -yesterday
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Understanding the profitability of your greenhouse
- Agave: The new drought-tolerant California crop?
- Patromex and DIDIHU partnership invests in modern plant for value-added coconut substrates
- US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
Top 5 -last month
- Vertical farming technologies tool in researching and fighting diseases
- German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- "Water is the new gold"
- Growing strawberries from seeds becoming increasingly popular
- Higher productivity and earliness are the story behind these pink greenhouses
Netherlands: Best of Four and Van Nature sign letter of intent to work together
Developments in the sector
The horticulture sector has been talking for months about the bad situation it has found itself in. It was during these discussions that Best of Four and Van Nature starting working closer together. After examination and various discussions, both growers associations announced their intention to work together. The main purpose is to contribute to a market model where 3 to 4 large groups of producers remain within the Dutch horticulture sector so that those who remain can sell their products in short, efficient and closed chains. However, it must first be tested
"The initiative to work together is an important step in the restructuring of sales and is being positively received by many," explains the group. However, it must first be examined by the Consumer and Market Authority.
Making each other stronger
'This development is great for the Best of Four and Van Nature members', according to Jan Oosterom, chairman of Best of Four. 'Together we are in the position to have strong commercial leadership where both the market and the grower are central.' Aad Sonneveld, chairman of Van Nature adds: 'We reinforce each other when it comes to greenhouse vegetables and the range of field vegetables and top fruit from Best of Four is a nice addition to the Van Nature package. With our knowledge of the market and marketing, we will be able to have more control over our product.'
Best of Four and Van Nature, with this cooperation, ensure that member's products are sent to the end customer via a closed chain. Sales within the Netherlands which go from trader to trader adds extra costs which do not contribute to the growers' margins. The chain cooperation from Best of Four and Van Nature strive to ensure that growers can achieve maximum return.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-12 US: Larry Ellison is feeding Hawaii from his high-tech hydroponic farm on Lanai
- 2022-08-12 Technology upgrades and a brand refresh for Australian strawberry producer
- 2022-08-12 Special restaurant experience: 3D visualization of the food's journey to your plate
- 2022-08-11 James, Jack and the 13 feet cucumber plant
- 2022-08-10 UK: "Now into its 16th season, this site is still extremely efficient"
- 2022-08-09 How Singapore is turning multi-story car parks into farms
- 2022-08-09 Italy: New 2 hectare project makes products available all year round
- 2022-08-09 Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-08 Japanese strawberry grower increases production thanks to hanging kit
- 2022-08-08 IE: Boyne Valley community greenhouses helping to feed the hungry
- 2022-08-08 NZ: Downsizing crops, but passion for tomatoes remains strong
- 2022-07-22 Belgium: "In comparison to last year, we’ve doubled production, as well as our revenue"
- 2022-07-22 China: New demand for leafy vegetables brings opportunity to the industry
- 2022-07-21 China: Looking into a 73 hectare greenhouse park
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-14 US (NY): Food trends are driving the demand for specialty mushrooms
- 2022-07-12 German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- 2022-07-11 "New farms start operating by the end of the year"
- 2022-07-07 "Once you have fought temperatures above 35°C for strawberries, leafy greens aren't very daunting"
- 2022-07-05 Founder of Fairtrasa opens up during podcast about being kidnapped by Mexican gangsters