Top 5 -yesterday
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- Greenhouse grower purchases 75-acre greenhouse in Jalisco, Mexico
- "One thing's sure: there will be less lit cultivation next season"
- New type of strawberry harvester introduced to the market
Top 5 -last month
Is this the world's largest cucumber?
“If I was to try to stretch it out a little more, I’m pretty sure I could get it to 45,” said Tomelin, a Kelowna gardener.
He’s hoping to make one last official measurement before cutting the cucumber down, but it needs to happen pretty soon.
“I am so nervous that I’m going to go out there and slugs will have torn it apart. I have it off the ground, because slugs were starting to lick at it and etch their initials into it,” he said.
The current Guinness World Record holder is a Welshman whose colossal cuke was measured at 41.5 inches in 2011.
In order to literally preserve his achievement, Tomelin has built a fermentation vessel, and plans to pickle the cuke with the intention of claiming the world’s longest pickle, as well.
“Maybe I’ll sell it to some hot dog manufacturer that wants to make yard-long hot dogs,” he said.
Click here for the complete article at the Vancouver Sun
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-10 UK: "Now into its 16th season, this site is still extremely efficient"
- 2022-08-09 How Singapore is turning multi-story car parks into farms
- 2022-08-09 Italy: New 2 hectare project makes products available all year round
- 2022-08-09 Dutch Berries: 20 hectares of high-tech strawberry cultivation
- 2022-08-08 Japanese strawberry grower increases production thanks to hanging kit
- 2022-08-08 IE: Boyne Valley community greenhouses helping to feed the hungry
- 2022-08-08 NZ: Downsizing crops, but passion for tomatoes remains strong
- 2022-07-22 Belgium: "In comparison to last year, we’ve doubled production, as well as our revenue"
- 2022-07-22 China: New demand for leafy vegetables brings opportunity to the industry
- 2022-07-21 China: Looking into a 73 hectare greenhouse park
- 2022-07-19 How plants are cooling greenhouses during the heatwave
- 2022-07-14 US (NY): Food trends are driving the demand for specialty mushrooms
- 2022-07-12 German retailer Kaufland and horti-family Reichenspurner open new greenhouse
- 2022-07-11 "New farms start operating by the end of the year"
- 2022-07-07 "Once you have fought temperatures above 35°C for strawberries, leafy greens aren't very daunting"
- 2022-07-05 Founder of Fairtrasa opens up during podcast about being kidnapped by Mexican gangsters
- 2022-06-29 Cock van Overbeek passed away
- 2022-06-20 Improve greenhouse management efficiency to counter lack of labor
- 2022-06-14 No drama with climate management at Drama greenhouse, Greece
- 2022-06-06 Leafy greens and vine crops grow in tropical Thai greenhouse