- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
- Operations Accountant
- Sales Manager for Nordic countries (H/F)
- Senior Breeder
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Here in Türkiye, we heat greenhouses with geothermal water, which is much cheaper than gas”
- "You have to be knowledgeable about the crop, but also know how to work with others"
- Belgian tomato grower raided on suspicion of using prohibited ToBRFV vaccine
- "A month later, we've had to replant up to 27% of the strawberry plants"
- Labor challenges and inflation in the Canadian horti sector
Top 5 -last month
- Zambia: "We produce 5,000 units of lettuce per week, per tunnel, year-round"
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- Family business: growing tomatoes in greenhouses for over 60 years with an eye on innovations
- Passive solar greenhouses: How Ladakh farmers are harvesting crops in winter
- Grow it forward receives USDA grant and doubles hydroponic capabilities
Blueberries, cherries and cherry tomatoes
UK: Wellpack launches new snack pots
The snack-pots are expected to appeal to consumers who are conscious of the five-a-day mantra that, since its adoption by the UK Government in 2003, is one of the most memorable public health campaigns of all time. Recent surveys point to an increasing trend to switch to healthier snacks, particularly in the 18-24 age range.
The snack-pots will have peel off lids for easy eating whatever the occasion: breakfast, lunch, in the car, on the train or straight from the fridge whenever.
The pots are expected to be particularly appealing to the UK’s 10 million plus commuters wanting to grab a healthy snack while on the move. Busy parents will no longer have to waste time dividing punnets into portions for lunch boxes, either. And when we throw away 7 million tonnes of food a year in the UK, potentially wasting leftovers – which will perish faster in an open packet – will be a thing of the past.
Wellpak is uniquely positioned to deliver the product since its service partner Ackio – a specialist, highly automated fruit packer – has developed and invested in specialized packing technology that, in combination with Wellpak, gives a unique array of services.
As part of its continual investment in leading edge technology, Ackio’s new device allows the relatively small opening of the pots – compared to the traditional fruit punnet – to be filled to an exact weight. The packing lines have also been adapted to allow the upright, unstable snack-pots to be packed efficiently, accurately and at high speed, before being sealed with a pre-printed film. The machine uses some of Ackio’s existing high tech, quality systems, such as vision-based checking of individual berries for internal and external defects, and air pressure tests for softness.
Wellpak’s diversification into snack-pots is not by chance. With market data now suggesting a move away from traditional punnets towards either much bigger containers or smaller, single-portion pots, Wellpak is riding a wave.
Wellpak’s snack-pots are available to retailers now.
For more information:
Tel: +44 07779 247508
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-11-17 Kenya to provide freighters for agri-exports
- 2022-11-14 Angus Soft Fruits now importing berries using reduced-plastic, cushioning punnet to improve quality and recyclability.
- 2022-11-11 "Elastic and non-elastic yarns with ecologically sustainable materials"
- 2022-11-11 "Process automation facilitates the reduction of production costs in citrus warehouses"
- 2022-10-26 'Reefer container rates expected to decrease at a significantly slower pace through 2023'
- 2022-09-22 New cling film is compostable with industrial versatility
- 2022-09-19 Snack tomato packaging wins 'Carton of the Year 2022' award
- 2022-09-13 "Products washed with peroxide have a longer shelf life"
- 2022-08-29 Strauss's leapfrogging in sustainable packaging by ROP for salads and leafy greens
- 2022-08-25 UK: Plant packaging manufacturer is exhibiting at the Four Oaks Trade show
- 2022-08-24 "No doubt robotic harvesters will be common in greenhouses very soon"
- 2022-08-18 Sustainable closure sealing and labelling of fruit and vegetable trays
- 2022-08-12 New application for disinfection of fresh-cut fruits by means ozone in the packaging
- 2022-07-07 New cold storage and research rooms put into operation at Proeftuin Randwijk
- 2022-07-07 Fruit that always has the best taste and bite thanks to All-in-One Spectral Cabinet
- 2022-06-30 50% more plants thanks to new strawberry cultivation system
- 2022-06-01 Proseal pioneers workable alternatives to plastic tray sealing
- 2022-05-27 European retailers called out for not going all-in on curtailing plastic pollution
- 2022-05-27 Is the economy threatening packaging sustainability?
- 2022-05-11 Drivers: the unsung heroes of the horticultural industry