- Managing Director, UK
- Teelt Specialist Potplanten
- Sales Manager Bio / Netherlands
- Production Manager
- Assistant Professor - Controlled Environments Entomologist
- Technical Development Specialist | Horticulture | France
- Director of Business Development | Middle East | Agtech
- Farm/Production Manager; Berlin (m/w/d)
- Trader Asian Market
- Avocado Growing Manager - Kenya
Top 5 -yesterday
- New report outlines and quantifies catastrophic loss from the tomato brown rugose fruit virus (ToBRFV)
- Taking lettuce production outside of California
- "We use robotics, machine imaging and AI to automate tomato harvesting"
- "Increasing demand for coco substrate and sustainable cultivation systems with circular fertilizers"
- Indoor grower opens new facility in Kentucky
Top 5 -last week
- “Significantly better results with new Iron fertilizers”
- What is the status of tomato brown rugose fruit virus in Europe?
- Race to emission-free greenhouse cultivation pushes growers to keep innovating
- BASF’s vegetable seeds and IUNU partner to advance digital phenotyping for hydroponic lettuce
- Infarm to make strategy shift, cuts 500 jobs
Top 5 -last month
- UK growers stop planting and put nurseries on sale amidst energy crisis and labor shortage
- "You can't grow on water without lights"
- "High-tech farmer AppHarvest is running out of money"
- German family company switches from tomato cultivation to hydroponic lettuce
- Mobile aeroponic system requires less maintenance and guarantees even irrigation
Thermo King extends shipping distance of fresh goods
Thermo King, a manufacturer of transport temperature control solutions for a variety of mobile applications and a brand of Ingersoll Rand, meets the needs of shippers and customers alike and is the first to introduce Magnum Plus Optima, an active oxygen removal system within its controlled atmosphere solution.
This active technology for marine transportation enables exporters to provide their customers with more sensitive types of fruit and vegetables ensuring they arrive at their final destination in the best quality, taste and appearance.
By prolonging the post-harvest life of fresh products, cargo owners can extend shipping distances and reach unexplored markets. The new Magnum Plus Optima system helps maintain the firmness and crispness of the transported fruits, vegetables and flowers, reducing shrinkage and decay of the cargo. Additionally it also permits growers to harvest produce closer to its natural maturity time and peak flavour.
“Many global shipping lines utilise passive controlled atmosphere technology today, which only maintains the atmosphere within a reefer container after it has been established by the respiratory activity of the fresh produce,” said Michel van Roozendaal, vice president, global marine, rail and bus for Thermo King “What’s remarkable about this new active Magnum Plus Optima system from Thermo King is that it doesn’t depend on the respiration of the fresh produce and allows for more precise control over the reefer environment, effectively slowing down the ageing and ripening processes of fruits, vegetables and flowers during transit. This extension of post-harvest life allows growers to reach new customers with products that previously could not be shipped by sea at an affordable cost.”
Fresh fruits, vegetables and flowers are living organisms that consume oxygen (O2) and produce carbon dioxide (CO2) during natural respiration, a process that continues after harvest and causes ageing and ripening. The quick removal of oxygen is crucial to slow down the decay process and extend their post-harvest life.
“When compared to passive systems that rely solely on the respiration of produce to eventually generate an initial atmosphere, active controlled atmosphere systems have the added benefit of promptly establishing and regulating the desired environment in the reefer container, thus more effectively extending the shelf life of the produce,” says Dr. Patrick Brecht, president, PEB Commodities, Inc. a consultation service provider for growers, shippers and transportation companies.
The new controlled atmosphere solution from Thermo King provides increased reliability thanks to the proven membrane technology and extensive protection of critical components. Due to the injection valve enabling 99 percent nitrogen (N2) gas purity and the closed loop with air recirculation, the Thermo King solution allows for fast pull-down, low oxygen levels and high carbon dioxide levels for increased performance. Full integration with reefer controls contributes to optimal efficiency and smart operation.
Thermo King controlled atmosphere solution will be on display at the Intermodal Europe in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Join Thermo King product managers, industry experts and leadership team at Stand B10 on November 11th-13th.
Please visit www.thermoking.com for more information visit.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-12-08 ToBRFV virus: a pragmatic approach
- 2022-12-08 Canada: GoodLeaf Farms receives about $110mln to expand nationally
- 2022-12-08 Circular bioplastics offer solution for climate crisis and growing resource consumption
- 2022-12-08 Acquisition of Penny UK by Power Plastics
- 2022-12-08 Energy screens: work smarter, not harder
- 2022-12-08 Trinity Natural Capital Markets welcomes the development of the UK Soil Carbon Code
- 2022-12-07 Equitable Food Initiative elects new board member
- 2022-12-07 Dutch nursery Globe Plant employs new greenhouse
- 2022-12-07 US (KY): Square Roots opens new indoor farm in Shepherdsville
- 2022-12-07 "We use robotics, machine imaging and AI to automate tomato harvesting"
- 2022-12-07 "The trend is somewhat moving away from cocktail tomatoes in favor of the plainer TOVs"
- 2022-12-07 "Increasing demand for coco substrate and sustainable cultivation systems with circular fertilizers"
- 2022-12-07 US: 'Designed to create larger impacts with less operating costs'
- 2022-12-07 The Veggie team experiments on ISS are part of NASA's effort to provide "Space Plant Biology" of sustainable fresh food production
- 2022-12-07 NZ: Green crops as an alternative nitrogen source
- 2022-12-07 Partnership supports UAE’s national food security strategy to adopt advanced agricultural methods
- 2022-12-07 "Food waste and safety are huge challenges"
- 2022-12-07 Dutch coop commits to science-based climate goals
- 2022-12-07 Greenhouse grower helps provide healthy meals at food bank
- 2022-12-07 Indoor grower opens new facility in Kentucky