- Head Grower Greenhouse Canada
- Post Entry Quarantine Facility Manager
- Economic Policy Officer Agri-Tech Kentucky
- Licensing Manager North America
- Junior Sales Executive
- Fruit Breeder/Trait Discovery Scientist
- General Manager
- Regional Sales Manager – DACH Region
- Country Manager – Italy
- Country Manager – Spain
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- “Black growbags could benefit vegetable crops as well”
- Latvia: First greenhouse to grow cucumbers under LEDs uses landfill waste to produce energy
- "Moisture is the big danger in the next two months"
- "Even light intensity at every spot in the greenhouse"
- US (OH): 80 Acres Farms makes layoffs as tech job crunch continues
Top 5 -last month
- How farmers are cutting out supermarkets
- Combining vertical farming and greenhouse horticulture to decentralize lettuce production
- Higher light transmission and lower heat demand with double foil greenhouse
- Fresh produce chain hit by Lakeside Produce’s bankruptcy
- 30MHz declared bankrupt, curator 'optimistic about restart'
Canada: Building Niagara’s New Greenhouse Technology Centre at Vineland
“The design of the new greenhouse is based on stakeholders’ input. It will not only be a horticulture research centre but also act as a catalyst for the commercialization of research programs to improve the competitiveness of the sector,” says Dr. Jim Brandle, Vineland’s CEO.
Ontario boasts over half of Canada’s total greenhouse production contributing to more than 50 per cent of Ontario’s horticulture’s $2.4 billion farm gate value. Niagara is the second largest producer of greenhouse products in Ontario with approximately 200 greenhouses and 18 million square feet of operations.
The 40,000 square feet greenhouse (almost one full acre) will focus on both flower and vegetable growing conditions unique to Ontario. Toronto-based Baird Sampson Neuert Architects have designed the complex to provide pre-commercial spaces with enhanced environmental controls and a versatile layout, optimal conditions to meet our partners’ research needs.
“The Canadian floriculture sector plays a significant role in our economy with over $1.3 billion in farm gate sales, attributing close to $5 billion in economic impact. The research taking place at the new greenhouse will provide us with the tools to make us more profitable and globally competitive,” said Dean Shoemaker, Executive Director at Flowers Canada Growers.
TR Hinan Contractors were awarded the greenhouse construction contract in June. In business for more than 20 years, the St. Catharines firm has a strong reputation and diverse portfolio. The construction of the complex is expected to last 43 weeks.
Vineland’s industry-focused research creates impact and results for the Canadian greenhouse industry.
For more information:
Cheryl Lennox, Director of Marketing and Communications
T: +1 905-562-0320 x624
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-01-27 Investigating the right plant spectrum on Chinese medicinal crops
- 2023-01-27 NL: Future Crops goes bankrupt
- 2023-01-27 Cascades launches new eco-friendly packaging for fresh fruits and vegetables
- 2023-01-27 Italian vegetable harvesters are partnering with the Netherlands
- 2023-01-27 Growy acquires assets and team of Kalera International (&ever)
- 2023-01-27 Avedon joins Kind Technologies’ growth journey within the horticulture greenhouse market
- 2023-01-27 Farm Credit Canada is the lead investor in the Global Pioneer Fund
- 2023-01-27 Stolze moves to new shiny headquarter
- 2023-01-27 CAN: Land Betterment acquires 50% ownership in greenhouse operations
- 2023-01-27 Israeli startup growing ready-to-eat duckweed-based green for daily intake
- 2023-01-27 Village Farms raises $25 million
- 2023-01-26 Bakker Belgium introduces first e-truck in Belgium
- 2023-01-26 Dutch greenhouses make place for houses
- 2023-01-26 Eureka Sunrise wins superior taste award for BerryWorld
- 2023-01-26 Paper bag for naturally moist soil
- 2023-01-26 Japanese plant-based ingredients startup gets investments
- 2023-01-26 New Finnish website launched to link global fresh produce buyers
- 2023-01-26 Church collaborates with Muslim Aid to build 2,720 greenhouses in Bosnia
- 2023-01-26 Kevin van Berlo to Mexico for BVB and love
- 2023-01-26 70 years of Ridder: "In fact, we still apply the same vision as my grandfather"