- Senior Agronomist/Horticulturist and Agronomy/Horticulture Manager
- Growers & Assistant Growers
- Plant Biologist
- Ripening Officer Bananas / Exotics
- Grower and Nurser
- Farm Manager
- Floriculture Production Planning Manager
- Agricultural Mechanic / Crop Sprayer Operator
- Technical Services Manager
- Quality Controller
Top 5 -yesterday
- Yuksel Seeds expands its presence in China
- Berry farm cluster model from Panama to the globe
- Cloth washer thoroughly cleans shredded cloth during crop changes
- In eight years, Ranjit Singh has become one of New Zealand’s largest telegraph cucumber growers
- Organic grower and shipper celebrates 10 Years of Fair Trade certification
Top 5 -last week
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- New packaging for hydroponic fertilizer launched
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- "Kawaguchi tomato variety good option for consumer, but also good for the grower"
Top 5 -last month
Coming up: Seed greenhouse climate controller by Wadsworth Control Systems
"Controlling a greenhouse has never been easier"
We had a chance to talk with Amanda Debevc and Patricia Dean from Wadsworth Controls at the Cultivate’14 exhibition in Columbus, Ohio. They introduced us to the prototype of their new product and talked about its advantages.
Amanda Debevc and Patricia Dean of Wadsworth Controls giving demo of the new Seed greenhouse control computer at Cultivate '14.
As they explained- “While designing the Seed controller we kept in mind several criteria. One of the most important was to create a genuinely user-friendly product. We made the control panel easy to learn and use and also incorporated the most convenient solutions for the users.”
The Seed computer offers everything what a grower expects from a climate control computer. It can control a single or multiple zones; indicates cooling and heating status by displaying corresponding colours and read out; shows current greenhouse conditions including temperature, humidity, PAR, CO2, and outdoor readings from a weather station including temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction and light levels on every screen.
Seed also indicates equipment status and a Why Code reading that explains the reason for the status. You can easily navigate from the multi-zone home screen to the most detailed device screen in a matter of seconds with a swipe of the screen. “We centralised every function, but kept the parameters easily and individually changeable. For instance, the grower can decide which fans they need in the greenhouse, and can switch them on or off with just a touch. It is as simple and responsive as a tablet. ”
The developers at Wadsworth Controls also mentioned the new curtain management system used by Seed. As they explained, “This is a greatly improved system in the Seed control. It can not only follow a pre-programmed schedule of closing and opening the curtains, but also makes decisions influenced by light intensity, as measured by the output of the sun. Hence, growers can set the conditions to open the curtains or not; or open and close them slowly or quickly. Tracking the Vapor Pressure Deficit and Accumulated Solar Intensity allows the grower to set the irrigation system to respond to the light values as well.”
In addition Wadsworth says, “The control knows to send a grower to a specific screen based on the functionality of the curtain. For example, it will go to a detailed screen based on heat retention if that’s why the curtain is closed, and arrive at a different screen if the curtain is closed for shading. This makes it simple for the grower to mange the curtain responses.”
Patricia Dean, C.E.O. of Wadsworth, pointed out that Seed is designed for both beginners and experts. “The control is easy to use, but offers sophisticated, detailed screens that the most advanced growers will find addresses their every need.”
Seed’s modular design allows for easy expansion of inputs and outputs. The Seed computer has both memory card and USB slots for future updates.
For more information:
Wadsworth Control Systems, Inc.
By Luca Utassy and Boy de Nijs
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-16 Cloth washer thoroughly cleans shredded cloth during crop changes
- 2022-08-15 "A generational change is going on in Italy's horti sector"
- 2022-08-15 New traceability technology working group launches
- 2022-08-15 Comparison of supplemental LED top- and interlighting for year-round production of cherry tomato
- 2022-08-11 UF researchers find genes responsible for several flavor compounds in strawberries
- 2022-08-10 Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- 2022-08-08 A mission to discover greenhouse robots in Japan
- 2022-08-08 Low-cost smart meter ready for farmers and agricultural partners
- 2022-07-22 "By adding spray booms, our roof washer became a real 2-in-1-machine"
- 2022-07-22 What is the added value of Software-as-a-Service for growers?
- 2022-07-22 "Horto Professional makes vertical farming customizable"
- 2022-07-20 'Easy-to-use growth model' combines weight and light
- 2022-07-19 "North America is a strong growth market for automation solutions"
- 2022-07-15 "I don't believe in automating just to automate"
- 2022-07-13 Greenhouse software tool helps growers calculate light distribution of growing facility
- 2022-07-12 Fluence and HAS University partner to explore dynamic lighting strategies
- 2022-07-11 Monitoring growing conditions and tracking strawberries with IoT apps
- 2022-07-11 “Autonomous Growing is helping us to achieve more”
- 2022-07-11 Trolleys help growers in hot climates deal with labor shortages
- 2022-07-06 Robots - the perfect worker when there are severe staff shortages?