- Senior Agronomist/Horticulturist and Agronomy/Horticulture Manager
- Growers & Assistant Growers
- Plant Biologist
- Ripening Officer Bananas / Exotics
- Grower and Nurser
- Farm Manager
- Floriculture Production Planning Manager
- Agricultural Mechanic / Crop Sprayer Operator
- Technical Services Manager
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Top tips for growing lettuce in a greenhouse
- New packaging for hydroponic fertilizer launched
- UK: Grower reduces greenhouse temperature by more than 6°C during heatwave with no cooling, fog systems
- Taking the wisdom from indoor farming and bringing it into greenhouses
- "Kawaguchi tomato variety good option for consumer, but also good for the grower"
Top 5 -last month
US (IL): School of Ag greenhouse project underway
Baker noted the new greenhouse facilities will extend the School of Agriculture's research capabilities in the plant-science area.
"This year, we were awarded the funds to begin the greenhouse project, one that we have requested in our annual consolidated report for several years now. We believed it was the one piece missing from the AFL (Agricultural Farm Laboratories) that would support the curricular needs of our comprehensive degree program," he said. "One of the two greenhouses will be solely intended for classroom and laboratory utilization. We will use one facility to house parent material for instructional use. The other unit will be strictly utilized for research purposes."
Baker said the University, the College of Business and Technology and the School of Ag are all contributing funding for the initial phase of the project.
"We envision a full greenhouse complex, which will be built in phases and over several years," he explained. "The overall complex will include six individual greenhouses, stacked side-by-side with a connecting hallway that leads to a head house, which will include a classroom, restroom facilities, chemical-mixing area and storage facilities. It is our intention to connect with agricultural industry leaders to assist in funding with the additional phases of the greenhouse complex."
Baker also said they hope to have the initial phase of the greenhouse facility operational for Homecoming Weekend (Oct. 3-4) and are tentatively planning an open house event that weekend.
Once the greenhouse facility is up and running, that will open up the research possibilities for School of Ag faculty members, Baker added.
"Until now, we were limited on the number of research proposals we could submit for external research funds, because we lacked a greenhouse facility to fulfil grant requirements. A greenhouse will enable us to apply for external grants that require experimental designs in a controlled environment, as well as provide faculty the capacity to conduct experimental trails before moving the research to field trials. The facility, which is designed to be state of the art, will also assist us in securing additional external funds to help support our research efforts in plant science. It will help us, too, extend our capacity to conduct more student-centred research, which will add value to our degree programs," he said.
For more information, contact Baker at +1 (309) 298-1080 or via email at AJ-Baker@wiu.edu. Visit the WIU School of Agriculture online at wiu.edu/ag.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-08-18 Turkish charities provide lifeline to Somalia with greenhouses
- 2022-08-18 Belarus: Plans to build unique greenhouse complex in Brest Oblast
- 2022-08-17 Organic bell pepper program expands into summer
- 2022-08-17 Construction progresses at High Life Highland's Inverness Botanic Garden
- 2022-08-15 "We hope this project will inspire the next generation of growers"
- 2022-08-15 Schartner's mall-size greenhouse in Exeter still on hold after judge's ruling
- 2022-08-15 Georgia: Minister Shamugia vistis greenhouse created through state co-financing
- 2022-08-11 Canadian grower adds space to indoor strawberry farm
- 2022-08-09 CAN (OB): Ever Tru Farms launches 15-acre expansion
- 2022-07-22 US: architect develops greenhouse for his Boston neighborhood
- 2022-07-22 Australian HFF inducts two life members with an incredible story of greenhouse construction in Mongolia
- 2022-07-21 China: Smart greenhouses boost yields
- 2022-07-21 A schoolgirl from Kazakhstan has developed a "smart" greenhouse
- 2022-07-21 Australia: Tomatoes and jobs to grow in Tatura
- 2022-07-13 California open field grower expands into hydroponic lettuces
- 2022-07-11 Iowa family farm sees success with tunnel greenhouses
- 2022-07-07 Evolving tomato cultivation in Ontario
- 2022-07-05 Oman: Jusoor Foundation to produce saplings and citrus plants in greenhouses
- 2022-07-05 Naturvillan is a self-sufficient, off-grid A-frame greenhouse home in Sweden
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard