- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- One of Sweden's largest tomato growers to stop cultivation during winter
- Wasabi grower discovering new greenhouse crops
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
Australia: Producers call for more local organic research
But the Southern Forests Food Council says it would be better off in Manjimup, to link with the existing horticulture research centre and the cluster of organic growers in that area.
The organic food industry is growing at an alarming rate. The national grower body Australian Certified Organic now estimates the farm gate value of organics in WA to be almost $20 million, with the retail value more than $100 million.
Wayne Edwards has been growing organic produce in Manjimup for 14 years.
"Having feedback, having more awareness of what sustainability is all about and the agriculture department would be the primary place for people to get information and direction.
"The Government should be behind this."
Mr Edwards says the research centre would be better off in a 'food bowl' like Manjimup.
"Manjimup is well situated with its water resources where there's plenty of avenues for organic development.
"Farming is a real community business and I think there are a lot of people that would like to use less chemicals and more soil friendly fertilisers and are not really sure how to do it and I just think that all agriculture department centres should have some sort of organics in there to give people options."
A spokesperson for Minister for Regional Development Brendon Grylls told the Southern Forest Food Council that the proposed Organic Food Industry Research Centre remained 'a priority' for the State Government, although specific decisions about the centre were 'still being considered.'
The Department of Agriculture and Food does a wide range of work that is relevant to organic and conventional producers including resource risk management, biosecurity, irrigation efficiency, market development, plant breeding, integrated pest management and animal welfare.
Source: ABC News
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-23 Texas A&M AgriLife research to improve organic spinach production
- 2022-08-09 Cost Share Organic Certification Fee application period still open
- 2022-07-07 Revamped baby leaf containers to debut at Organic Produce Summit
- 2022-02-24 Consultants in organic farming get to the heart of the matter with growers
- 2022-02-01 U.S. organic produce sales top $9 billion in 2021
- 2021-10-27 Canadian greenhouse grower expands organics program
- 2021-09-27 Organic shoppers demand sustainable packaging
- 2021-09-21 Greenhouse growers present on Organic Produce Summit
- 2021-09-16 The UK horticulture conference created by growers for growers is back!
- 2021-06-03 Booth registration opens for Organic Grower Summit
- 2021-06-01 Pinduoduo embarks on first-of-its-kind study into plant-based meats
- 2021-05-07 Organic pak choi grown in good Dutch soil
- 2021-04-26 The World Food Innovation Awards awards the Monterosa tomato as the best natural and organic product
- 2021-04-23 Strategic organic partnership carries over to upcoming show
- 2021-04-01 "A coherent strategy for organic is essential"
- 2021-03-31 "There are wonderful sustainable initiatives, they are just not organic"
- 2021-03-22 Judge rules: This lettuce can be organic
- 2021-03-08 Regulatory changes expected to restrict smaller companies’ ability to provide beneficial microbes
- 2021-02-01 US: Organic greenhouse tomatoes see increased demand across varieties
- 2021-01-21 Ample organic cauliflower on the market