- Teeltspecialisten Engeland
- Commercial Support Coordinator (32-40 hours)
- Sr Construction Project Manager
- China country manager
- Commercial Key Account Manager
- Agriculture Sales engineer France & European zone
- Cultivation specialist / Growers for Amerika
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager
- Area Manager South Germany
- Senior Buyer | Fresh Produce | Ireland
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
- One of Sweden's largest tomato growers to stop cultivation during winter
- Wasabi grower discovering new greenhouse crops
- UK strawberry grower uses UV-light robot to keep powdery mildew at bay
- Gotham Greens raises $310M to accelerate national greenhouse expansion
- Drones fly through tomato rows in International Greenhouse Challenge
UK: London Mayor talks cucumbers
The Mayor used this information within his speech to the Conservative Party conference last week.
"We have more baristas than barristers, there are quite a few barristers as well, and yet with so much green space in London that we produce two million cucumbers a year from London. Eat your heart out, Vladimir Putin.
It is partly thanks to our cucumber yields, our staggering cucumber yields, comrades, that London now contributes almost 25% of UK GDP, which is more than the city has contributed at any time since the Romans founded it".
The Association hosted a visit from Rosie Boycott (3rd October) (chair - London Food Board, London Assembly) and received a tour of Valley Grown Nurseries by Chairman Gary Taylor MBE of his Sweet Peppers and Tomworld (Tomatoes) hosted by Joe Colletti & Sam Cannatella of Glinwell Plc.
The London Food Board how the Lea Valley Growers can increase the UK's low numbers of self sufficiency in Sweet Peppers (12%), Cucumbers (32%) and Tomatoes (17%) by expanding their growing area to meet London's predicted population growth.
The visit ended with an invitation to City Hall at the end of the month to discuss the issues further.
For more information:
Lea Valley Growers Association
(A) 37-39 Turners Hill, Cheshunt, EN8 8NP
(T) 01992 625 076
(F) 01992 640 141
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-09-30 Photo report of Vertifarm 2022
- 2022-09-30 Energy lecture for greenhouse growers with an eye for new technologies
- 2022-09-29 Opportunities and hurdles becoming visible in the market
- 2022-09-29 J. Huete International takes its high-tech greenhouse models to Fruit Attraction
- 2022-09-29 Flemish agriculture and horticulture open house during Agriculture Day
- 2022-09-28 "In these tough times, the strawberry sector must find solutions"
- 2022-09-28 Protected cropping: an open day to explore the latest trends
- 2022-09-27 Join the knowledge hub at Asia Fruit Logistica 2022
- 2022-09-27 Taiwan fact-finding mission on cold chain for horticulture
- 2022-09-27 Wageningen University organizes course on Postharvest Technology
- 2022-09-26 2022 Canadian Greenhouse Conference takes place next week
- 2022-09-26 Fresh fruit & vegetable industry Virtual Global Sustainability Symposium
- 2022-09-26 France: day 2 of Natexpo 2022
- 2022-09-26 Dutch company presents packaging lines at Business Relation Days
- 2022-09-26 Exploring organic grower challenges and solutions
- 2022-09-26 'Back British Farming Day' rescheduled to Wednesday 2 November
- 2022-09-26 CPMA hosts 2022 semi-annual board of directors meetings
- 2022-09-22 Last day of the Vertical Farming World Congress
- 2022-09-21 Online training course: Tips and tricks for surviving the energy crisis
- 2022-09-21 "We are looking for suppliers on the domestic market"