- VP Growing Operations
- Head Grower Strawberries, Australia
- Growing Manager for Hydroponic strawberry producer
- Farm Manager Costa Rica
- Regional Sales Manager Fresh Produce
- Head Grower Strawberries, Norway
- Export Trade Manager
- Business Developer - Northern Europe
- Orchard Sector Manager
US: ASHS sharesr results of horticulture career survey
Lack of awareness of horticulture is the reason most of you felt students are not signing up for this major. Below are two ideas that most of you thought would work to attract students and could begin with minimal effort.
Offer high school scholarships. This could be from industry partners, college, department, or private donor funds. Pick an inner city school, the largest high school in your state, or use other criteria. Ask for a student essay on “why I want to study horticulture”; use your existing scholarship committee to grant the award, promote with the other scholarships you already award. Share your ideas and results next year at the annual conference!
Develop corporate–academic partnerships, such as a Horticultural Summer Institute for junior or senior high school students (we used to call these camps). Hold it one week in the summer in conjunction with 4H, FAA, and Cooperative Extension. Solicit corporate partners, who will promote this as Hoffman Nursery has done. Students will leave with a whole new awareness of what it means to be a horticulturist.
I hope this survey and responses will help you engage in specific initiatives that will introduce students to our fascinating discipline.
Click here to see the results
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-09-29 US (KY): "This farm was sold out as soon as it opened"
- 2023-09-29 "For growers and retailers, we're an open book"
- 2023-09-29 BioSafe Systems mourns the loss of Michael Larose
- 2023-09-29 “We empower growers to excel in cost-effective cultivation, ensuring long-term success"
- 2023-09-29 Lebanon needs greenhouses for food safety and security too
- 2023-09-29 Eurofins Food Assurance acquires ARS Probata
- 2023-09-29 Said El Ouakili to join Kubo
- 2023-09-28 CAN: Provincial government investing in infrastructure for vegetable production
- 2023-09-28 “We help companies across continents resolve disputes”
- 2023-09-28 "Product availability is our biggest challenge by far"
- 2023-09-28 "From biocontrol to packaging and everything in between"
- 2023-09-28 Primeur Fruit Attraction Edition now available to read online
- 2023-09-28 "By pooling our knowledge and networks in Spain and the Netherlands together, we are turning 1+1 into 3"
- 2023-09-28 ScottsMiracle-Gro announces executive team retirements and reorganization
- 2023-09-27 Infarm's Dutch branch declared bankrupt
- 2023-09-27 ISO appoints Martin Maasland as CEO
- 2023-09-27 Said El Ouakili joins KUBO as new Regional Sales Director
- 2023-09-27 Vivent receives new funding to expand market for 'wearables for plants'
- 2023-09-27 Jordi Ferre joins Coolsan Australia’s mission to get more food to more mouths
- 2023-09-27 Developer of cultivation systems declared bankrupt