- Sales Representative Substrates Peru
- Head Grower – High Technology Organic Greenhouse
- Import and Export Sales Manager
- Sales Manager - US
- Key Account Manager (f/m/d) - Full-time
- Vice President of Growing Operations
- Account Manager - Canada
- Account Manager - United States
- Procurement Manager Blueberries
- International Fruit Trader
BC Greenhouse builds structure for Edible Schoolyard Project in New York
In conjunction with Work AC, the architects on the project, the classroom greenhouse is the heart of the project at PS 216. “We were approached in late 2011 to provide quotes and specifications for this greenhouse so it’s great to see it come to life,” says Kyle Exner, Business Manager for BC Greenhouse Builders. “What makes this greenhouse interesting is the unique design created by the team at Work AC. The greenhouse has a reverse design where it slopes from the front to the back and incorporates a slight tilt on the front wall. This is meant to capture the maximum amount of winter sun for year round growing.”
At 17x46, the greenhouse is extremely spacious and strong with over 15 foot high sidewalls and a substantial truss and purlin support system.
“What was critical for the construction of this greenhouse was to ensure safety for the students, that all building codes are met and that the space is the most efficient for their use,” says Exner.
The Edible School Yard New York states on their website: “Today nearly 50% of NYC’s public elementary school students are obese or overweight. They’re part of the first generation of children forecast to have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. A childhood plagued by obesity could result in an adulthood hampered by heart disease, cancer, diabetes or high blood pressure.”
“As a company, the team was really excited about this project because many of us have school age children and we can relate to the need to ensure a healthy future for our children,” says Angela Drake, Marketing Director at BC Greenhouse Builders. “The lack of access to fresh fruits and vegetables is a problem that can be solved through the combined efforts of a community.”
Alice Waters calls The Edible Schoolyard project a “delicious revolution” and with good reason. There are over 375 chapters in the US and Canada growing herbs, salad leaves, fruit trees, corn tomatoes, and some even grow wheat to grind for pizza dough.
BC Greenhouse Builders, founded in 1951, had their own mission in mind. The team endeavored to create a high quality greenhouse that provide structural strength but was modular and adaptable in the design and virtually maintenance free.
“It’s important to build a structure that is not only strong but also easy to maintain that will not result in long term additional costs for the school,” says Kyle Exner. “We know that they will have great success with the greenhouse and it will serve the community for decades.”
For more information:
BC Greenhouse Builders Ltd.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-12-05 Inmates will work in the greenhouse in Amasya prison, Turkey
- 2023-12-05 95% of greenhouses in Turkmenistan specialize in tomato production
- 2023-12-05 Agro Care to build Canarian greenhouse in Morocco
- 2023-12-05 Ukraine: Greenhouse complex using geothermal energy will be built for EUR 68 mln in Lviv region
- 2023-12-04 Mongolia: 22-ha greenhouse to be completed before year end
- 2023-12-04 Storm causes significant damage to greenhouses in Konya, Turkey
- 2023-12-04 Greenhouse vegetable growers in Kazakhstan can receive 25% subsidies
- 2023-12-01 Liberia: Solidaridad constructs the first post-war cocoa greenhouse
- 2023-12-01 Conviction in fraudulent funds for aquaponic project
- 2023-11-30 Greenhouse grower receives award for ‘Together’ campaign
- 2023-11-30 US (IN): Lilly greenhouses to be remodeled as ‘Purdue Moves’ forward in research
- 2023-11-30 Dutch strawberry growers open new location
- 2023-11-29 Guyana: Three-acre greenhouse commissioned at Plympton Farms
- 2023-11-27 UK: MP gets a look at high-tech facilities at Hadlow College
- 2023-11-24 Japanese project to increase agricultural development in Luzon
- 2023-11-24 Greenhouse expansion in Tajikistan: a catalyst for year-round agricultural growth