- Grower and Project Planner Vertical Farming - Aarhus - Denmark
- Financieel Administratief medewerk(st)er
- Territory Manager - Brazil/South America
- Senior Product Coordinator Beans
- Sales manager
- Head of Sales
- Medewerker Productmanagement
- Sales Manager - Germany
- Associate Director International Procurement: Produce - Berlin
- International Procurement Manager - Berlin
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
- Whitefly prevention with liquid nutritional plant enhancer
- Derek Hargreaves ‘A Remarkable Man’
- "The number of high-tech greenhouses in Poland has grown significantly in recent years"
- CAN (ON): “We are moving into the strawberry category as a united front"
- "We can produce up to 2.5 times more from the same acreage"
Top 5 -last month
- "The container is essential to determine the quality of the plant"
- Finland: 11.000m2 hybrid vertical farm constructed near Helsinki
- Here are last year's best read articles: vertical farming, strawberries and sustainable initiatives
- “I have to throw away my crops because of energy prices”
- "In a decade, only a handful of greenhouse companies will survive"
Australia: Open field tomato grower reflects on 2012 Farmer of the Year award
Koorelah Farms, owned by the Born family, is a 270-hectare gourmet tomato growing and packing operation located in Bowen, south of Townsville, producing around 8,000 tonnes of tomatoes a year.
Leanne Born says she decided to enter the awards because of her passion to communicate the reality of farming in Australia today.
"A lot of people that come and visit our farm just go 'Wow! We didn't realise that it takes all of this to get this tomato in a box to the supermarket shelves.'"
"I just don't think that people realise the capital infrastructure necessary, or how technologically advanced farming is, particularly with irrigation systems, or pest control on-farm and then things like cooling in the packing shed or the transport that gets it to the Southern States."
Leanne says on-farm innovations have included continuous trialling of different varieties, using integrated pest control and continuous monitoring of run-off to ensure it meets environmental standards going into the Great Barrier Reef Catchment.
Leanne, who runs the packing shed operation, says installing computerised grading technology along with a blemish grader is removing the subjective judgement of human graders from the operation and replacing it with much more objective technology.
"The machine is very specific in what it takes out, and it helps us to improve the overall consistency of our lines and that's an important thing in selling to supermarkets and other markets."
Leanne say the win in the Farmer of the Year Awards was a real feather in the cap of for all their workers and show-cased the region nationally and internationally.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-01-24 Growing old style tasty tomatoes with new technologies
- 2022-01-24 Izal, the first Dutch cucumber from Sakata for Almeria
- 2022-01-21 Building strawberry farms to feed North America
- 2022-01-21 Müritz fishermen do not want to grow tomatoes in the future
- 2022-01-20 "We can produce up to 2.5 times more from the same acreage"
- 2022-01-18 Derek Hargreaves ‘A Remarkable Man’
- 2022-01-18 Finland: Accelerating indoor farming projects throughout Europe, including cosmetics
- 2022-01-17 Peter Seabrook, BBC Gardeners' World star dies aged 86
- 2022-01-14 "Setting up this dragon fruit greenhouse was a dream come true"
- 2022-01-12 "We are always conscious of the environment"
- 2022-01-07 India: Advanced farming mooted to ensure food security
- 2022-01-06 "In a decade, only a handful of greenhouse companies will survive"
- 2022-01-06 Singapore: Two news farms on their way, one fully powered by solar
- 2022-01-06 “I have to throw away my crops because of energy prices”
- 2022-01-06 Vegan Quality mark for Belgium greenhouse grower
- 2022-01-04 Finland: 11.000m2 hybrid vertical farm constructed near Helsinki
- 2022-01-04 No-nonsense vertical farming solution for strawberry cultivation
- 2022-01-04 "This will be our 28th strawberry season"
- 2021-12-24 Expanding into bigger farms to accelerate Singapore's self-sufficiency
- 2021-12-23 "Retractable roof greenhouse ideal for tropical climates"