- Commercial Manager Spain
- Crop Farm Manager Sharjah
- Commercial Manager Soft Fruits
- Assistant Nursery Manager - Tasmania, Australia
- Tissue Culture Lab / Operations Manager - Victoria, Australia
- Irrigation Manager - Tasmania or Victoria
- Chief Executive Officer Hortifrut IG Berries
- Head of Operations - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Greenhouse grower / production manager - Brazil
- Experienced International Trade Specialist
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
US: Poinsettias no longer common on the Kalamazoo County greenhouse scene
Today, only two local greenhouses still grow the plants. "I'm stupid," quipped Dean Panse, one of those growers, as a prelude to explaining why others no longer grow the plants.
He makes a good case for his joke. Poinsettias take months to grow from patented cuttings that must be ordered now for planting next July, Panse said. The grower pays royalties on the plant variety patents, and must assure plants must reach exacting specifications for holiday delivery. "They're easy to screw up," Panse said.
The cost of growing all plants, not just poinsettias, has soared, especially the costs to heat and light the greenhouses and pay for workers. "(Profit) margins are slim to none," when it comes to poinsettias, Panse said. The big box stores have driven margins down, he said.
"It's not the industry it was 10 years ago," Wenke said of the greenhouse business. Michigan's cloudy skies and chilly weather put the state at "a substantial disadvantage" in an industry that has seen "labor and heating costs increasing year to year while sales prices are stagnant or in decline," he said.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2022-06-30 US (ME): ‘Crew of octogenarians’ builds greenhouse in Lewiston yard
- 2022-06-30 CAN: Abegweit First Nation invests in food security with new greenhouse
- 2022-06-30 Finnish propagator Sigg-Plant expands capacity with 40%
- 2022-06-29 Twentyfour-year-old Saudi farmer engineers a blooming desert
- 2022-06-29 Canada: Church greenhouse program supports migrant workers
- 2022-06-29 S. Korean smart farm technology creates cooling greenhouses in Vietnam
- 2022-06-28 'Growing together by sharing the Chinese 'pie'
- 2022-06-28 Amazon seeks to convert Great Falls nursery into a greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 Big harvest for muskmelon in Indonesian greenhouse
- 2022-06-28 4-H raffle grand prize greenhouse built by A. E. Peacock students
- 2022-06-27 Kazakhstan greenhouse gets renovated after 30 years
- 2022-06-27 New greenhouse at Highfield Farm boosts production for local food banks
- 2022-06-27 Greenhouse structure is erected in Nepal
- 2022-06-24 Ghana: Kumasi embraces greenhouse cropping technology
- 2022-06-24 Pakistan: Balochistan government installs 396 green tunnels to enhance off-season crop production
- 2022-06-24 Renu Energy Solutions partners with University to power village greenhouse
- 2022-06-23 New 5.000m2 greenhouse project in Iraq
- 2022-06-23 Ukraine: cabinet allocates grants to create gardens and greenhouses
- 2022-06-22 Coating as a base, screens as "emergency brake"
- 2022-06-21 US (NH): How a new greenhouse project in Berlin aims to help produce more local food