- Technical Sales Representative, Leamington, Ontario
- Technical Sales Representative, Ancaster, Ontario
- HR Generalist
- Head Grower Strawberries (West Virginia USA)
- Global Sourcing Manager
- Buying Operations Manager (BOM Process)
- Sourcing Manager EU
- Manager Operations Ethiopia
- Senior Grower
- Propagation Specialist
Top 5 - yesterday
Top 5 - last week
Top 5 - last month
- "Vertical solar panels under the gutter can provide significant savings in plastic greenhouses"
- The differences between greenhouse growers in US and Canada
- German grower reduces moisture in slabs with Spacer
- Half the labor if tomato grows upside down?
- China: Abundance of crops grow in arid Xinjiang desert
acreage under 10,000 hectare, largest reduction in South-Holland
Netherlands: CBS: 288 hectares less greenhouses this year
The acreage of greenhouse cultivation in the Netherlands, according to the CBS, declined in 2012 by around 288 hectare to a total of 9,960 hectare. This is the first time this century that greenhouse horticulture is smaller than 10 thousand hectare. This is primarily caused by the decrease of acreage in cauliflower nursery plants (-150 hectare). The average area per horticultural business doubled between 2000 and 2012.
Acreage of greenhouse vegetables decreases for the first time
The Dutch acreage of greenhouse cultivation declined in 2012 for the first time since the year 2000 (-124 hectare). Due to the sharp increase in the acreage of greenhouse vegetables in the years 2000 through to 2011, the surface area in 2012 is almost 16 percent higher than in the year 2000. Greenhouse vegetables accounted for the largest acreage of greenhouses (4.9 thousand hectare). In the period between 2000 through to and including 2009, flowers accounted for the largest surface area grown under glass.
Spacious 5 hectare per tomato company
The average surface area for greenhouse cultivation doubled to 2 hectare per company from 2000 tot 2012. A vegetable grower had an average of 3 hectare per company in 2012. From these vegetable growers, tomato growers had the largest acreage (5.1 ha), followed by pepper growers (4.6 ha) and cucumber growers (2.5 ha) per company. The tomato companies experienced the largest growth in the period between 2000 to 2012. These companies, on average, are now almost three times as large as they were in 2000.
The largest decrease of the greenhouse acreage in 2012, occurred in South-Holland. The surface area of greenhouses fell by 150 hectare. North-Brabant experienced a decrease of 60 hectare followed by Gelderland with 53 hectare. The province of North-Holland saw the most increase of greenhouses (+39 ha). The growth in North-Holland is almost entirely due to the growth of tomato acreage.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2023-06-02 US (PA): Sugar Valley Greenhouse counting their blessings, one petal at a time
- 2023-06-02 "Our newly opened Innovation Center recreates highly controlled environment of vertical farming"
- 2023-06-02 Greenhouse pepper growers in Tokat, Turkey cannot solve root collar rot problem
- 2023-06-01 10.000 strawberry seedlings planted in geothermal greenhouse in Sindirgi, Turkey
- 2023-06-01 Little Leaf Farms inaugurates greenhouse, will add a new one in fall
- 2023-06-01 CAN (SK): Committee to consider long-term options for City Greenhouse: shared space proposed
- 2023-05-30 Algeria: Agreement signed to finance greenhouse projects
- 2023-05-29 US (IN): Flanner House to unveil greenhouse and mental health center to support urban core
- 2023-05-29 Hydroponic strawberries from Turkey are exported to various countries
- 2023-05-29 Glasshouses relocated and repurposed to provide quality growing facility for Guernsey-based charity
- 2023-05-26 US (NC): California company makes $9M investment in Mills River-based greenhouse
- 2023-05-24 "Power lies in the marriage between 'ag' and 'tech'"
- 2023-05-24 Revol Greens unveils new Texas facility to meet increased demand
- 2023-05-24 CAN (NS): Province announces new funding for greenhouse in New Glasgow
- 2023-05-19 Indoor Farm Guwahati now largest indoor farm in the region with a capacity of over 13,000 plants
- 2023-05-19 Another 20 hectare for Tunisian glasshouse project Hicha joy
- 2023-05-19 10 foil greenhouses will be built in Cukurca, Turkey as part of municipality project
- 2023-05-18 Tornado destroys 100 greenhouses in Mersin, Turkey
- 2023-05-18 "Growing demand for construction professionals in CEA"
- 2023-05-18 20-hectare Senegal project includes greenhouses, packing house and supermarket