COOLthelifestyle has published a ranking of the 10 hottest chili peppers in the world according to the Scoville scale, which determines the pungency level of hot peppers (Capsicum) –measured in Scoville units (SHU)– based on their capsaicin content, the chemical compound responsible for itching; specifically 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide.
According to this ranking, the hottest peppers in the world from least to most pungent are:
10. Habanero Savina Red (500,000 SHU): This level already far exceeds the well-known chili pepper and it's just the beginning.
9. 7-pot red giant (1,000,000 SHU): which roughly translates to “7 red pots.” Its name comes from its ability to heat up seven pots of stew in a short amount of time. It is a very rare pepper to find.
8. 7 pot barrackpore (1,000,000 SHU): It can be used in a good number of meals with just one use. It is unique in the world. It comes in different shapes, looks, sizes, and colors. It has a light fruity touch.
7. Bhut Jolokia (1,041,427 SHU): Also known as the 'ghost pepper'. It is considered 400 times hotter than Tabasco.
6. Naga Viper (1,349,000 SHU): It is the result of a combination between different peppers as well as years of cross-pollination.
5: Trinidad Scorpion Butch T (1,463,700 SHU): Its name comes from the person in charge of spreading its seeds, Butch Taylor. The nickname 'scorpion' comes from its strong resemblance to the scorpion's stinger: it is so pungent that it must be handled with protective gloves, and exposure to the eye can cause temporary blindness.
4. 7 pot first (1,469,000 SHU): Its seed is difficult to obtain and replicate.
3. 7 pot Douglah (1,853,936 SHU): This chili is considered to have one of the best flavors. It can be consumed both in solid and in powder form.
2: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion (2,009,231 SHU): This variety has been recently discovered and has immediately been ranked as the second spiciest chili. Having a little taste of it will make your whole mouth itch.
1. Carolina reaper (2,200,000 SHU): A pepper that holds the Guinness record for the hottest chili in the world with 4.4 times more Scoville units than the red Habanero Savina. It's supposed to have an exquisite flavor - if you can manage to savor it…