CAN: 1-month extension for SAWP contract

SAWP workers are now permitted to continue working beyond their end-date (up to 1-month) as identified on their employer’s LMIA for the 2020 season. For information on extending work permits for workers from other Temporary Foreign Worker Program streams, please visit the government website or view the WALI update circulated in May.
Worker extensions are not intended to be used in lieu of employers utilizing the existing pool of source country workers that are ready to travel, in-line with commitments they have made in their request for workers. Any extensions will be limited to one-month. This recognizes the investments already made by workers and the foreign governments to prepare workers to travel.
To avoid processing delays, use the following checklist to ensure you have the required documents included in your submission:
1. Written request by employer for extension.

  • Employer’s Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Business Number and legal business name
  • Original LMIA number
  • Extension details, including:
    • Name(s) of the workers to be extended
    • Their initial date of arrival and initial work duration
    • Extended duration and new end date of employment (not to go beyond December 15, 2020)
  • Brief explanation of the rationale for the request
  • Confirmation of continued full-time employment in the same position for the extended period
  • Confirmation that the maximum occupancy of approved housing will not be exceeded. 

2. Signed consent form for each TFW to be extended.

A copy of the signed consent form is to be retained by the employer, TFW(s), and the Foreign Government Agent. 
3. Housing Inspection Report for where the TFW will reside.
4. Employers must send all required documentation to the Service Canada Centre SAWP processing centre.

More important details to note:Workers that will require a new work permit (staying longer than 8 months) will need to submit an extension application that is processed in Canada (ie: the in-Canada IMM 5710 application). The employer will pay the cost of the work permit processing fee directly to IRCC and may not recover any costs related to the fee from the worker. 

Source: WALI.

Publication date:

Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here

Other news in this sector:

Sign up for our daily Newsletter and stay up to date with all the latest news!

Subscribe I am already a subscriber