- Product Developer - Italy
- Commercial Manager | Fresh Produce | Kenya
- Technical sales Specialist North Europe (Benelux - Germany)
- Technical sales specialists Florida, Virginia, North Caroline, South Carolina, Texas, - USA
- Business Development Manager Spain
- Director of Operations - Ethiopia
- Product Manager Premium Beans - Rotterdam, NL
- Crop Consultant - Canada
- Market Access & Quality Systems Manager | Fruit - Bologna, Italy
- Corporate Account Manager - Chilliwack (BC) Canada
Top 5 -yesterday
Top 5 -last week
Top 5 -last month
China: Vending machines are transforming into smart storefronts
In China, vending machines are becoming full-service convenience stores. Larry Song, sales manager at the Thintop Technology Company, a Shenzhen-based manufacturer of vending machines: “Before, customer demand was simple. People just wanted water, cola etc .... But now they buy all kinds of things.”
The new vending machines now offer their customers toys, books, cosmetics, electronics and pet identification tags. In the future, e-commerce giant Alibaba wants to bring automotive vending machines to market that “will make buying cars as easy as buying a can of Coke,” Alibaba representative Yu Wei was quoted as saying.
While the goods are varied, the idea remains the same: put some money into the machine, and out comes the product. But what’s different is the vending machines themselves: they are smart and sophisticated. Modern, energy efficient machines are network connected, which enables operators to monitor inventory. Sensors track foot traffic and consumers’ buying patterns based on time of day, day of week and corresponding weather conditions.
Digitaltrends.com describes how they are also more social. Customer engagement is enhanced by interactive audio, video, and touchscreen functions. Based on demand, prices are adjusted remotely in real-time. And via apps, frequent shoppers earn free drinks and other rewards.
Receive the daily newsletter in your email for free | Click here
Other news in this sector:
- 2019-07-04 Partnership brings increased artichoke sales
- 2019-06-25 Photo Report: wholesale market Cologne
- 2019-06-06 UK: Supermarket in York wants to change food industry
- 2019-06-05 Lidl offers 5kg veg boxes in fight against food waste
- 2019-05-30 Ontario consumers vote for favourite greenhouse vegetable display
- 2019-04-24 Groceries delivered when you're away thanks to mini-fridge
- 2019-04-05 How retailers quadruple the price of imperfect produce
- 2019-02-22 Glasshouse strawberries - a unique selling point for Aldi UK
- 2019-01-08 'Low demand for Turkish peppers after Christmas'
- 2018-06-20 Sing along with the vegetable edition of Little Green Bag
- 2018-06-12 Carrefour’s 'Black Market' - 7 months after launch
- 2018-06-07 Prison terms demanded for fraud in Westland tomato trade
- 2018-06-05 Consumers still hesitate to buy fresh produce online
- 2018-06-05 Wendy's is moving all of its tomato production to greenhouses
- 2018-05-23 Germany: Discounter expands healthy fruit & vegetable brand program
- 2018-05-11 Twice as much fruit and vegetables in the average AH shop
- 2018-05-10 Atlanta cop nets long sentence for breaking man’s leg over ‘stolen’ tomato
- 2018-05-08 Photo report CPMA retail tour
- 2018-05-07 "Customers can harvest lettuce in the supermarket"
- 2018-04-25 "China: Walmart unites suppliers in "Fresh Food Alliance"